Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
My son went fishing down off the wharf in eastern passage last week and was told that he was not allowed to fish off the wharf down there. Has anyone else had this problem? Last I knew it was a government wharf that a private manager rented the spots to dock up to. I can see why they would like to stop people from fishing off it the mess they leave on the wharf hooks in the boat lines ect. But why not kick the offenders off and leave the rest of the people alone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
To my knowledge all government wharfs are open to fish off of. If those fishing are interfering with the commercial fishermen then I could see something being done about that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
that's just sad!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi There,

It depends. There is a wharf on the far left hand side as you approach, that you can only acees walking on a road that goes through a set of swinging gates. There is a fish plant directly on that wharf that is constantly processing fish. I have fished off the dock there and never been asked to leave, but... there are forklifts zipping back and forth constantly hauling huge containers of ice as well as pallets of traps etc... It would be a dangerous place for a child to walk through. Incidentally, they also have at least 3 signs posted, faded and old but present that state "No Fishing At Any Time". I have seen many large fishing vessels on that wharf departing on fishing trips or returning with their catch. I am under the impression that it may be privately owned.

Right next to it is a small wharf that is a launch that someone must pay a fee in order to use. This is a bad place to fish whether or not they minded you there, I would not fish off it as it is poorly located. Compound that with the fact that it is a boat launch would make it dangerous anyway.

You may fish anywhere at any time of the large central part of the wharf that you access simply by walking straight ahead. It runs out then forms an L shape veering to the right. I have sometimes caught a great deal of fish off the straight part of the wharf and sometimes off the L end. It is a strange place, usually the majority of fish are in a very specific small location as opposed to being spread out. I highly discourage any jigging off this wharf as the bottom is a slag heap of everything and anything that can snag your gear. Do not let your gear come close to the bottom!

In the area, I recommend a little further down Shore Road, there is a park (MacKormacks Beach Provincial Park) with a board walk that runs out to a point. There is a small beach there and you cast into a rather narrow inlet between the mainland and Lawlor Island. It seemas as good a place to cast as any as it is 1 of only 3 entrances to the Harbour for any fish.

Hope you find that helpful, happy fishing,

James

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi There,

It depends. There is a wharf on the far left hand side as you approach, that you can only acees walking on a road that goes through a set of swinging gates. There is a fish plant directly on that wharf that is constantly processing fish. I have fished off the dock there and never been asked to leave, but... there are forklifts zipping back and forth constantly hauling huge containers of ice as well as pallets of traps etc... It would be a dangerous place for a child to walk through. Incidentally, they also have at least 3 signs posted, faded and old but present that state "No Fishing At Any Time". I have seen many large fishing vessels on that wharf departing on fishing trips or returning with their catch. I am under the impression that it may be privately owned.

Right next to it is a small wharf that is a launch that someone must pay a fee in order to use. This is a bad place to fish whether or not they minded you there, I would not fish off it as it is poorly located. Compound that with the fact that it is a boat launch would make it dangerous anyway.

You may fish anywhere at any time of the large central part of the wharf that you access simply by walking straight ahead. It runs out then forms an L shape veering to the right. I have sometimes caught a great deal of fish off the straight part of the wharf and sometimes off the L end. It is a strange place, usually the majority of fish are in a very specific small location as opposed to being spread out. I highly discourage any jigging off this wharf as the bottom is a slag heap of everything and anything that can snag your gear. Do not let your gear come close to the bottom!

In the area, I recommend a little further down Shore Road, there is a park (MacKormacks Beach Provincial Park) with a board walk that runs out to a point. There is a small beach there and you cast into a rather narrow inlet between the mainland and Lawlor Island. It seemas as good a place to cast as any as it is 1 of only 3 entrances to the Harbour for any fish.

Hope you find that helpful, happy fishing,

James
the L shaped wharf that you described a straight ahead is the one I was talking about that my son was told he was not allowed to fish on. I had had him there when he was younger and showed him how to fish it. Never had a problem myself there over the years can't wait to take him there myself to see whats going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts