Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little anticipatory stroll on a local stream looking for rises. Thought I saw one splashy rise out of the corner of my eye, but even if that was wishful thinking, there were plenty of tiny black stoneflies on the rocks. Here's a pic of a couple next to a penny.

Might be some top water action after all!

·
Registered
806 Posts
when i use to fish in beech hill [lunenburg co.], these would be hatching every spring. the trout would be going crazy for them!i'd fish all day with my other flies , and MAY muster a single fish.

i never found a pattern that imitated those little buggers, and honestly i never had materials that small.

does anyone have a pattern for these?

·
Registered
587 Posts
does anyone have a pattern for these?
Hi JS
I use a nymph at those times. It started out as a Hellgramite nymph as in Modern Atlantic Salmon flies but got modified by Reg's Book also Talking with George Kregling. It has to be less than 1.5 in long, black maribou or artic fox for a tail and the body is dubbed black seal fur - It must be fuzzy. Olive also works also. I put a black cone head but it works without. It has been good to me when the Stone flies are out - as to a dry fly - that is not something that I'm specially good at. If they wouldn't take a size16 black klink they wouldn't have a big selection in my fly box.
Have a good first day
Paul

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is a #16, you may have to go to a #18 or even a #20 from looking at your pic. The hatches I fish in CB are a #16.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts