Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hellgramite, is the common name for the larval form of Dobsonflies and Fishflies.

And an adult Fishfly

Hi;

Are hellgramites common in N.S., and are they only found in flowing water? Also, I was told that the "fishflies" I saw in Ontario were a species of caddis. Are there identical names for different flies, like there are for fish [eg., pickerel]?

thanks,

chuck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hellgramites are "steak" for fish. Its no wonder that a weighted bugger is so effective. . . it imitates a Hellgramite very nicely!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Possibly you're thinking of Pteronarcys, the salmonfly, sometimes called a giant stonefly. Here's a google image:

·
Banned
767 Posts
Thanks guys.

What would be a comparative species to a helgrammite in still water? Dragon nymphs? And lastly, I'm told that trout won't eat tadpoles [too bitter tasting]. Do other species like smallies and pickerel feel the same way about them? Just curious, so don't feel you need to respond.

thanks again,

chuck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't get me wrong, trout are my first love and my quarry of choice, but I've caught them with sloppy presentations and even on bare hooks numerous times. They aren't always the crafty, noble creatures they are romanticized to be. Yes, it's easy to catch little bass and hammer handles, but personally I find it just as challenging and rewarding to chase and catch large bass and pickerel as large trout. I don't think it's fair to say there's no challenge when you openly admit you don't really fish for them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My passion is fishing in general, fly fishing in particular. This thread was posted under fly fishing. My point was simply that I was enjoying this thread very much, but thought the comment regarding the lack of challenge with bass and pickerel was inaccurate and unfair. As you said, my opinion and nothing more. I have no interest in yet another protracted discussion on the relative merits of trout vs. bass and pickerel, so I'll leave you to it. Cheers.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Spoken like gentlemen, both;-- but that's a rare thing when people start issuing value judgments based on personal tastes and not facts. Especially when the comments are gratuitous and unasked for. It usually starts a flame war, and that's to be avoided as much as possible. My thanks to both of you for your courtesy and discretion.

Comme disent les francais, "Des gouts et des couleurs, on ne discutent pas.".

cheers,

chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts