Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this technique and have acquired boat and equipment/fish finder. Does anyone have any tips? Was wondering if Grand Lake would be a place to start before going offshore? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I'm new to this technique and have acquired boat and equipment/fish finder. Does anyone have any tips? Was wondering if Grand Lake would be a place to start before going offshore? Thanks in advance.
I am far from an expert on Stripers, but from what I know of the species, they are most often caught on the surface, or in shallow water on the beach. So, IMO utilizing a downrigger for them does not seem like a practical method of fishing for them? But I could be wrong????

Now, that being said, downriggers can be a great tool for getting down to certain species of fish feeding in the lower levels of the water column. When I lived out West, I used them for fishing Mako & Thresher Sharks, and they worked GREAT!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok thanks. I've seen the technique used off the Maine coast. Is it possible that the striper comes in shallow during feeding then returns to the deeps or deeper water later? Ie holding offshore?
King
Also, heard of lake trout in Sherbrooke? Wrong thread but any comments?

Sure is tough having new boat frozen over.
Days getting longer.

I'll have to hit the hardwater for a fix.

·
457 Posts
a lot of guys use down riggers on grand for stripers and land locks
once the water temps come up and the fish head deeper

·
Banned
767 Posts
Ok thanks. I've seen the technique used off the Maine coast. Is it possible that the striper comes in shallow during feeding then returns to the deeps or deeper water later? Ie holding offshore?
King
Also, heard of lake trout in Sherbrooke? Wrong thread but any comments?

Sure is tough having new boat frozen over.
Days getting longer.

I'll have to hit the hardwater for a fix.
Hi;

Thought you might get your answers from people who regularly fish stripers, both on Grand Lake and in the salt. But since you haven't yet, I'll share what little I know.

Stripers are, like most fish, light and water temperature sensitive. Temperature is also linked to oxygen levels in fresh water especially. Thus, in cold water they will be shallow, in warm water they will be deeper, down near the thermocline.

In spring most stripers are fished from shore or flat-lined by trollers. In late fall they can again be fished from shore in fresh water. They can be fished from shore in the Bay of Fundy all year round, STS, since the flushing tides keep that salt water very cold even in the dog days. However, there are better times and places, which people on this site will tell tou of. Basically the Bay of Fundy and tidal rivers depend upon tide times and light levels, with sundown to sunrise being favoured.

In warm water, as I said, you often have to go deeper than 10', perhaps as deep as 30' or more. For deep water trolling you need a down-rigger and a depth ['fish'] finding sonar. You need sonar for two reasons--locating bait fish and stripers, and watching bottom contours so that your 'cannonball' downrigger weight does not get snagged in a rocky reef.
That's the trouble with down riggers-that and the fact that if you don't get them out of the way, any hooked fish will find a way to wrap around them. When I first used them in B.C., years ago, they were manually cranked. Talk about trouble, trying to crank the down rigger and the fish at the same time!! Be sure to get an up to date electrically powered down rigger. They probably don't even sell the old manual rigs anymore, anyway.

In sum, I'd say that you'll only need the downrigger/sonar combo on Grand Lake in the summer. But more experienced striper fishers will give you more and better info, eventually.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi;

Thought you might get your answers from people who regularly fish stripers, both on Grand Lake and in the salt. But since you haven't yet, I'll share what little I know.

Stripers are, like most fish, light and water temperature sensitive. Temperature is also linked to oxygen levels in fresh water especially. Thus, in cold water they will be shallow, in warm water they will be deeper, down near the thermocline.

In spring most stripers are fished from shore or flat-lined by trollers. In late fall they can again be fished from shore in fresh water. They can be fished from shore in the Bay of Fundy all year round, STS, since the flushing tides keep that salt water very cold even in the dog days. However, there are better times and places, which people on this site will tell tou of. Basically the Bay of Fundy and tidal rivers depend upon tide times and light levels, with sundown to sunrise being favoured.

In warm water, as I said, you often have to go deeper than 10', perhaps as deep as 30' or more. For deep water trolling you need a down-rigger and a depth ['fish'] finding sonar. You need sonar for two reasons--locating bait fish and stripers, and watching bottom contours so that your 'cannonball' downrigger weight does not get snagged in a rocky reef.
That's the trouble with down riggers-that and the fact that if you don't get them out of the way, any hooked fish will find a way to wrap around them. When I first used them in B.C., years ago, they were manually cranked. Talk about trouble, trying to crank the down rigger and the fish at the same time!! Be sure to get an up to date electrically powered down rigger. They probably don't even sell the old manual rigs anymore, anyway.

In sum, I'd say that you'll only need the downrigger/sonar combo on Grand Lake in the summer. But more experienced striper fishers will give you more and better info, eventually.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awsome! Thanks Chuck. As if I needed yet ANOTHER way to fish but the boat came with a nice Big Jon electric downrigger and a Hummingbird Wideye. I'm dreamin of those dogdays in the summer when the brookie fishing is at it's lul and the bass are active. Take a break, do some trolling on "island time" and kick back untill the lunker hits. I'm lookin' forward to grand. My lil tinboat wasn't quite adequate. If anyone's inerested come summer I'd love to have a fishing partner to show me this lake.
King

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awsome! Thanks Chuck. As if I needed yet ANOTHER way to fish but the boat came with a nice Big Jon electric downrigger and a Hummingbird Wideye. I'm dreamin of those dogdays in the summer when the brookie fishing is at it's lul and the bass are active. Take a break, do some trolling on "island time" and kick back untill the lunker hits. I'm lookin' forward to grand. My lil tinboat wasn't quite adequate. If anyone's inerested come summer I'd love to have a fishing partner to show me this lake.
King
I have never fished Grand Lake, but love striper fishing up on the Bay and thought I might check out the fishing in Grand this summer -is the best ramp at the old fish hatchery or is there a better spot to put in?
Tks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts