Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there many other guys fishing diawa reels I bought the fuego and zillion at the start of the season and am very happy.The only place to buy them was on line so I took a risk of not be able to see if I liked them but lucked out.I had shimano in the past and wanted to try something different and am very happy with the results.For curisoty sake what are most people fishing with

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shimano Spirex here. Love it. My cousin use to fish a Diawa, had it for something like 15 years. He's now using D.A.M.

·
Registered
296 Posts
shimanno sienna 2500, and an old shakespear baitcaster

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Big Chief,

I'm a big Daiwa fan as well. Great reels! Eric Baylis of Eric's Reel Shop also shares our love for Daiwa reels. I'm always bugging him to sell me a few of his older ones but he just laughs... lol.

At the moment, I primarily use a Daiwa Whisker CW1350T spinning reel for freshwater. I've had it 20+ years and it's served me well. A year or two ago I had a gear replaced as I abused it, fishing both salt and freshwater. It's exclusively used for freshwater fishing now. Great for trout, shad, etc. Even caught a few stripers on it with 10lb test in the 9 Mile River. I also have an old Daiwa J-11S. I believe it's from the 60's or early 70's. It's rated up to 12lb test but it's best with 6 or 8 at most. Nice reel for brook trout, etc. For mackerel fishing I use the Daiwa Sweepfire 3500B reel. It's an inexpensive reel but fishes like a mid-range one: smooth and durable. I recently purchased a few more of these reels as I'm hoping to give a few setups away as I introduce some locals in Africa to sportfishing. At the moment I have my eye on a few of Daiwa's inshore and surf reels. Haven't decided what to get yet but one can't go wrong with their gear.

Last year I picked up a few spinning reels: Sargus SG4000 and Penn 850ssm. I had a blast fishing Shad this year with the Sargus. Great action, smooth retrieve, etc. Overall a very nice reel, plus it's metal and rated for saltwater so one could use it as an inshore reel too. Unfortunately, I don't believe the reel is available locally or I'd recommend it to you. I've yet to use the 850ssm. It's a full metal reel as well and more for inshore and offshore fishing. I've been invited to fish with a few friends off the South Shore next month and plan on giving the 850 a good test. Recently, based on the advice of a forum member, I purchased the Penn 500L Jigmaster. I'll be testing this out as well next month. Everything will get the ultimate test when I hit the coast of west africa. Big fish = big test! I'd like to get a Daiwa conventional reel too but really would need a first-hand recommendation before forking out that kinda cash.

At the end of the day, most reels work. People being the fickle creatures we are have our own preferences. Sometimes it's size, colour, feel on the rod, price, etc. Whatever works and makes one happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I talked to Eric before buying my reels and he was the one who told me to try Daiwa.I figured since he has repaired so many over the years I figured his word would be pretty solid.I was on EBAY earlier there was over 3000 daiwa reels this would be a great place to buy some to get other people started in fishing as your post stated.I will be having Eric look at my reels at the end of season just ask him what he thinks this may help you decide what you would like to buy before spending alot of cash.Mine were bought from Bass Pro on line very easy to deal with they arrived in a week with no problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I talked to Eric before buying my reels and he was the one who told me to try Daiwa.I figured since he has repaired so many over the years I figured his word would be pretty solid.I was on EBAY earlier there was over 3000 daiwa reels this would be a great place to buy some to get other people started in fishing as your post stated.I will be having Eric look at my reels at the end of season just ask him what he thinks this may help you decide what you would like to buy before spending alot of cash.Mine were bought from Bass Pro on line very easy to deal with they arrived in a week with no problems.
Having chatted with him on a few occasions, I don't believe Eric has a lot of experience with the big game conventional reels so this is why I didn't broach the topic. Outside of that area, the guy is a fountain of knowledge and just a great guy to talk fishing with. His advice on reel maintenance falls in line with the manufacturer basically. Clean after every trip, especially if fishing saltwater, with soap, etc. and lube.

You're right in that Ebay has a lot of Daiwa reels, however just need to be careful of the condition as a lot of reels sold on Ebay are used, albeit many in very good condition. Just tough to buy a used reel without actually picking it up first. I have an idea of what Daiwa conventional reel I'd like, however having an idea and having a recommendation from someone who consistently fishes with it are two totally different things. I know that Penn is the standard for conventional reels; most of the big game IGFA guys use them and set the records with them. Either way, hopefully I can pick up another Penn and another Daiwa for the road. Just gotta hide/destory the receipts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been using Daiwa reels for more years than I care to remember.
The ones I brought with me are a pair of TD1650F`s one which I just picked up has started to sound rather worse for ware, so I will have to have a look inside to see what is wrong. Bet I wont be able to find any spears.
The other 2 are what I used to use for float fishing on the rivers in England are Auto1657m`s.
These have an automatic bail arm system, you do not have to manually open the bail arm all you do is tap the arm and it opens automatically

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having chatted with him on a few occasions, I don't believe Eric has a lot of experience with the big game conventional reels so this is why I didn't broach the topic. Outside of that area, the guy is a fountain of knowledge and just a great guy to talk fishing with. His advice on reel maintenance falls in line with the manufacturer basically. Clean after every trip, especially if fishing saltwater, with soap, etc. and lube.

You're right in that Ebay has a lot of Daiwa reels, however just need to be careful of the condition as a lot of reels sold on Ebay are used, albeit many in very good condition. Just tough to buy a used reel without actually picking it up first. I have an idea of what Daiwa conventional reel I'd like, however having an idea and having a recommendation from someone who consistently fishes with it are two totally different things. I know that Penn is the standard for conventional reels; most of the big game IGFA guys use them and set the records with them. Either way, hopefully I can pick up another Penn and another Daiwa for the road. Just gotta hide/destory the receipts.
I have used a Daiwa SLX 30SHA for surf fishing for about 7 years and found it excellent. It is a medium sized conventional. I put an aftermarket magnetic cast control sideplate on it and this made is really awesome. (Both availabale at http://digitaldagger.com/ )Never a backlash. If you are fishing in W. Africa you will need gear with a really reliable drag. I have lived in the South Pacific (Fiji)and lost many fish because they hit so hard and fast, and the drag on the cheap reel I had then could not take it. Your line too needs to be heavy - I would use 65pound powerpro for surf fishing, especially if you have to keep big snappers out of reefs. Corrosion is also more of a problem in the tropics than here - the sea is often saltier and the heat accelerates corrosion. Another great conventional is the Avet. I have an MXJ that I magged ( magging is essential for Avets because of their heavier spool and exceptional ball bearings). While it does not cast quite as well as my Daiwa is nonetheless bombproof, almost maintenance free and certainly the reel I'll take on my next trip back to Fiji. (you can get them at http://charkbait.com/ and as they are made in the US, our high dollar makes the purchase a bit easier.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have used a Daiwa SLX 30SHA for surf fishing for about 7 years and found it excellent. It is a medium sized conventional. I put an aftermarket magnetic cast control sideplate on it and this made is really awesome. (Both availabale at http://digitaldagger.com/ )Never a backlash. If you are fishing in W. Africa you will need gear with a really reliable drag. I have lived in the South Pacific (Fiji)and lost many fish because they hit so hard and fast, and the drag on the cheap reel I had then could not take it. Your line too needs to be heavy - I would use 65pound powerpro for surf fishing, especially if you have to keep big snappers out of reefs. Corrosion is also more of a problem in the tropics than here - the sea is often saltier and the heat accelerates corrosion. Another great conventional is the Avet. I have an MXJ that I magged ( magging is essential for Avets because of their heavier spool and exceptional ball bearings). While it does not cast quite as well as my Daiwa is nonetheless bombproof, almost maintenance free and certainly the reel I'll take on my next trip back to Fiji. (you can get them at http://charkbait.com/ and as they are made in the US, our high dollar makes the purchase a bit easier.
Thanks for the Daiwa recommendation, I'll check out the reel online. Did you purchase the control sideplate at the same site? I didn't know that the salinity was higher in the tropics. Interesting piece of information. I'll be sure to keep up on the maintenance. Have you ever trolled with the Avet reel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the Daiwa recommendation, I'll check out the reel online. Did you purchase the control sideplate at the same site? I didn't know that the salinity was higher in the tropics. Interesting piece of information. I'll be sure to keep up on the maintenance. Have you ever trolled with the Avet reel?
Yes the Daiwa mag kit was purchased from the same site. Regarding the Avet reels, they were originally designed as trolling reels you could cast with. However given there phenomenol free spool, they were then used by shore fishermen. However they really do need magnetic control. This is easy to do by gluing a washer to the side plate and then slapping on a rare earth magnet or two, which is what I have done. However, responding to requests from thepublic for an adjustable magnetic control, Avet introduced them a year or so ago.All there reels have lever drags which are really great. I love this for striper fishing in that you can let them run, then stick on the drag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts