Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I shape my spun deer hair I dunno if I am doing it correctly!!! Some say slim cigar shape while say it must be fatter, then there is the question as to whether or not push the hair back while spinning. I am so confused, please help me out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Brat
There is as many ways to shape a deer hair fly as there are anglers.
As the old nursery rime used to say "Some like it fat, some like it lean"
Clip up a bunch a few ways and see what the fish think. Myself I like them clipped of center - one side wider than the other - makes the fly swim zig zag but thats only me.
As far as pushing the hair back, I don't do that because if you do you leave a spot with loose thread in the center of the fly and this will not do good things for the fly.
Some anglers like flies tied loosely - others like it very solid. Warren Duncan always tied his with 4 bunches of deer hair and fish liked his flies. See also Carter Bugs from Bryant Freeman.
Anyway my thoughts
Paul

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as the shape of the body that is purely personal preference IMO. I shape them both way and prefer a thin body for wet bugs and fat for floaters. Others would disagree. I always push the hair back as it makes for a neater looking body. But when I first started tying my bodies were not so perfect and it mattered none to the fish. Experiment with both and see what works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brat
There is as many ways to shape a deer hair fly as there are anglers.
As the old nursery rime used to say "Some like it fat, some like it lean"
Clip up a bunch a few ways and see what the fish think. Myself I like them clipped of center - one side wider than the other - makes the fly swim zig zag but thats only me.
As far as pushing the hair back, I don't do that because if you do you leave a spot with loose thread in the center of the fly and this will not do good things for the fly.
Some anglers like flies tied loosely - others like it very solid. Warren Duncan always tied his with 4 bunches of deer hair and fish liked his flies. See also Carter Bugs from Bryant Freeman.
Anyway my thoughts
Paul
Thanks so much it is a tricky thing when your just starting out, I started tying about 2 weeks ago and I am going to start fishing in the spring. Bryant Freeman is an amazing fly tyer, I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to meet with him at his shop and he helped me with my hackle problems. I am from the Sussex area do you know any good places to get fly tying material locally??? I mean I love going to Riverview to visit Bryant, Renous to visit George and I even got to watch Larry Tracey the inventor of the L.T. Special tying .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the shape of the body that is purely personal preference IMO. I shape them both way and prefer a thin body for wet bugs and fat for floaters. Others would disagree. I always push the hair back as it makes for a neater looking body. But when I first started tying my bodies were not so perfect and it mattered none to the fish. Experiment with both and see what works.
Your right, thanks so much I appreciate all the help and advise I can get.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Brat
You cann't beat Bryant for materials.
Good selection, good info on how to use them and better prices
than most. Wish he was closer!
Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Brat
You cann't beat Bryant for materials.
Good selection, good info on how to use them and better prices
than most. Wish he was closer!
Paul
I agree, he is amazing!!! He will ship things too, I hope someday I am half the tyer he is!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
hi brat. I have always pushed the hair as tight as possible, by twisting it the same way as my thread is wrapped. i find it gives a more solid body, with no gaps. especially when tying bugs.i dont worry as much about the muddler heads.but it is all trial and error, what ever works best for the fish.most of my bodies end up with gaps in them anyway, but still work.but i find that the tighter the body the better it'll float.
I have been tying for several years now, and still dont tie {properly}.LOL. but my flies always catch fish.

cheers and tighlines- Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi brat. I have always pushed the hair as tight as possible, by twisting it the same way as my thread is wrapped. i find it gives a more solid body, with no gaps. especially when tying bugs.i dont worry as much about the muddler heads.but it is all trial and error, what ever works best for the fish.most of my bodies end up with gaps in them anyway, but still work.but i find that the tighter the body the better it'll float.
I have been tying for several years now, and still dont tie {properly}.LOL. but my flies always catch fish.

cheers and tighlines- Mark
Thanks for the advise, sometimes I wonder why I bother but, I really enjoy tying so I think I will stick with it and hope my Green Machines start coming out better.

·
1,353 Posts
The Carters Bug is a perfect example of a fly that catches fish not fishermen. A lot of very good tyiers cannot tie it properly and when you see the proper one it looks like a beginner tied it. Bryant Freeman has the magic and I have used his tie with good success. Can I tie it, well I like his better! Fished wet or dry. Good for browns and salmon for me.
Spinning deer hair is personal preference and some like a very tight body some prefer a more open body. Bugs and Bombers I like the cigar shape and for sliders and divers I like a triangle shape, Muddlers I like a sparce loose head. There is no such thing as a bad tie if it catches fish!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Brat
Boiling the hair on the hide makes it easier to spin.
I don't know how many folks do that but it works for me.
Just boil a piece in a pot of boiling water, hang to dry and
when its good and dry, use it
Paul

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Carters Bug is a perfect example of a fly that catches fish not fishermen. A lot of very good tyiers cannot tie it properly and when you see the proper one it looks like a beginner tied it. Bryant Freeman has the magic and I have used his tie with good success. Can I tie it, well I like his better! Fished wet or dry. Good for browns and salmon for me.
Spinning deer hair is personal preference and some like a very tight body some prefer a more open body. Bugs and Bombers I like the cigar shape and for sliders and divers I like a triangle shape, Muddlers I like a sparce loose head. There is no such thing as a bad tie if it catches fish!
Thanks, I guess I will have to get out there and give mine a whirl to see if they are any good
I appreciate the advise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Brat
Boiling the hair on the hide makes it easier to spin.
I don't know how many folks do that but it works for me.
Just boil a piece in a pot of boiling water, hang to dry and
when its good and dry, use it
Paul
I never knew that, thanks for the tips. I think I could learn alot from the people on this site. I really appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I try to pack mine tight by twisting as I push it back. An empty pen barrel helps. Lately I've been using a battery-operated beard and mustache trimmer to clip the hair. It works really well and saves a ton of time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bryant Freeman doesn't pack the deer hair on the Carter Bug because he says that when the fish clamp down on the fly and feel something soft, it may keep it in its mouth longer. I caught a grilse on a big Bomber this summer which had a tightly packed body, and had a hard time hooking the fish. I hooked the same fish about 6 times before being able to set the hook. I was close enough to see both the take and the release of the fly. I was fishing this fly upstream ( dry fly style) on a dead drift. Nothing else was working thar day, and this fish wanted a big Bomber ( 3" long body + tail & Wing). I alternated big White & Brown Bombers with orange hackle and both were taken.

I think Freeman might have something here, because Carter Bugs usually give a solid hook up whenever they're taken.

Kelly Galloup in the western US ( Zoo Cougar) doesn't pack down his deer hair on his deer hair headed streamers because he wants to have the fly sink. He doesn't tie weighted streamers, and has some interesting videos on You Tube.

Folks who tie deer hair poppers for bass and the like pack the deer hair as tight as they can. I've tried it on Muddlers, and you can't hardly sink those suckers. Tightly packed deer hair increases the floatation.

In Summary, tightly packed deer haip = more floatation and firmer bodies; unpacked hair means softer bodies with a less flotation.

You choose what's good for you and the situation at hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts