Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take my four year old son fishing along the Cornwallis River, is there any place that would have easy access for him to enjoy some fishing.

·
1,353 Posts
Warren, there are lots of places I would take a four year old fishing and low on my list would be the Cornwallis. It is a tough river with well fed selective browns so the fishing might be good but the catching not so good. If you want an evening on the cornwallis with your four year old doing some fishing try Lovett Bridge.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would echo Perry's comments and add that if I were taking a 4 year old fishing, I would take him where he could catch LOTS of fish (any type) and throw LOTS of rocks. The Cornwallis leaves something to be desired in both of the categories mentioned. BTW, I wouldn't take my own tackle. Regards....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All
A friend said after fishin the Cornwallis - "It was like fishing down a well!"
Some areas a paddleable after dark and that makes good catching. Not for 4 years old though or for that matter folks with short fuses!
Have a good evening
Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

FWIW, if I were to take a 4 yr. old fishing [I wouldn't if I could get out of it by taking him/her to an aquarium or a zoo, instead.], and if the fishing had to be in the valley, I would probably try to find a "U-Fish" operation, if there are any still around.

The thing about taking kids fishing, I found, is to remember that if they aren't getting constant bites they'll look for something else to do, and so you have to keep a watchful eye on them, constantly. Forget about doing any fishing yourself, no matter what.

Just my humble opinion. Good Luck!

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
494 Posts
Are there any stretches on the Cornwallis that lend themselves to wading and fishing? I much prefer this kind of fishing to fishing from a boat. It is almost like hunting as you look for rocks, logs etc where a trout might be hiding, I find it fishing at it's best. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
raven4ns;

Yes, there are. If you start at the bridge in Berwick and work either West (upstream) or East you can find the type of fishing you are looking for. Good luck. Regards....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thank you very much for the suggestion. After I came back from the Middle River in CB this year I decided to try and find some smaller rivers/streams that offered a similar kind of fishing to the Middle. As I live in Dartmouth, going to the Middle for a day fish is not very realistic for me anyway, so I am trying to find similar streams close by.
The last time I kept a trout was about 10-12 years ago and I kept a nice 3-4lb brown for my dad who has since passed away. I enjoy the hunt and the catch of the trout but also seeing it swim away after I release it. Fishing this way has allowed me to catch many fish but not have any negative impact on the trout population and to do my part in conservation in a modest way. Thank you again, Shimanoman.

raven4ns;

Yes, there are. If you start at the bridge in Berwick and work either West (upstream) or East you can find the type of fishing you are looking for. Good luck. Regards....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts