Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody here has done it and has some first hand info on it that they could share?If there is no one here how do you feel about it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where the Cnd nationals are concerned, anyone can enter a team. It's not province V province. It works like this; If you have the money and can put a team together you can participate in the nationals. There is no qualification rounds. Should you win the nationals, that does not give you a free ride to the worlds. Again, you have to pay for everything personally or go after sponsor money. It simply is not a big, world stage kind of event.
I coached a team in 2006 so I have a pretty good feel for how it works but it's not my bag. If you want more information and you have back issues of Canadian Fly Fisher mag. There should be contact info in there. If not, email me and I can get the info. [email protected]
Cheers,
Rob

·
Banned
767 Posts
Just wondering if anybody here has done it and has some first hand info on it that they could share?If there is no one here how do you feel about it?
It's not really all that 'competitive', but Perry hosts a bass fly fishing tournament on LRL. Fun, good company, trophy, pool money prizes, great shore lunches, and, usually, at least some horrible weather to laugh about-- afterwards. Only cash costs are to kick in for expenses and the pools.

Perry [and others] can furnish more details. I think it's great.

As for truly cut-throat competitive fly fish tournaments, I don't know of any around here.

cheers,

chuck

·
1,353 Posts
expatblunoser is right. It's a game played by anglers with deep pockets. I was part of a bid to bring the Championships to NS and it was interesting. And like Expatblunoser It was a game I didn't feel the need to take part in. Fox and grapes and an empty bank account maybe but I found competition took pleasure I get from fishing. I used to compete in bass tourneys with a fly rod with my son. We never argued as much as we did when we were fishing a tourney. The only competition I take part in is the flyfishing honour tournament we have each summer and that one has no prizes and you measure your own fish and let it go. Just a good time!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if competition is for me and beside I can hardly afford my own gear right now with me and my wife starting a new business last year.Sometimes I miss competition,uses to have it with hockey and golf but when I think about it after a while they started to feel like jobs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
expatblunoser is right. It's a game played by anglers with deep pockets. I was part of a bid to bring the Championships to NS and it was interesting. And like Expatblunoser It was a game I didn't feel the need to take part in. Fox and grapes and an empty bank account maybe but I found competition took pleasure I get from fishing. I used to compete in bass tourneys with a fly rod with my son. We never argued as much as we did when we were fishing a tourney. The only competition I take part in is the flyfishing honour tournament we have each summer and that one has no prizes and you measure your own fish and let it go. Just a good time!!
you have my undivided attention perry!is this invite only , or could even i come along to play?

·
1,353 Posts
Not a problem everyone with a fly rod welcome! There is a thread that will start I suspect in early June. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All
Paul Marriner writer of fishing books, is well acquainted with competitive fly fishing. His www site is www.galesendpress.com. He has been Captain of the Canadian team in the past and has a very realist view of the event.
Myself I used up all my competitive juices early in life - so now am content to dead drift a bug in the unlikely event a big bass will like it for lunch.
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey good luck with the Nationals. If you want some tips on long distance casting, and specialty casting tips give me a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts