Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live and fish in southern Ontario-a town called Bradford -just south of Lake Simcoe-have been ice fishing for walleye-caught a 22" walleye last Friday in Lake Scugog-had to put it back as it was over the slot
I will be coming to the Yarmouth/ Tusket area with the family the first two weeks of August this summer-I am looking for areas/ideas for fishing at that time. I have fished smallies in the past in the Beaver River /Salmon River area-don't remember the lake names-around the 101 just north of Yarmouth-also fished chain pickeral in Vaugh Lake just outside Tusket-also tried for Striper in the Tusket River
Tried a charter at Digby
Pls offer any suggestion, I can research on the net.-Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well there will certainly be lots of options for chain pickeral and bass in that area.... practically every lake has one the other or both.... Definitely good bassin in the Salmon River area.... and good white perch fishing as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I do not live in the area but have a camp 10 mins out of Salmon River... have fished a tonne of the lakes but only did salt water a time or two for mackeral fron the wharf in Yarmouth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks again. Years ago when I was visiting, we fished mackeral from a wharf just north of Salmon River(St Mary's??) and had some success-also caught a dog fish(shark) there but I was there earlier in the summer
Anyone fish the lakes coming into Yarmouth.I believe one is called Doctor's lake. Are they any good?
I have fished smallies most times I am there but would like to try something different.
Is the Tusket River any good for stripers in August???

·
Registered
433 Posts
Virtually anywhere you can get to the waters edge....the Lakes in Yarmouth have a few spots to get to shore where both species are possible and there are many nearby lakes where you can get at them from shore. Annis River and the Carleton River Systems both offer some good spots to grab some fish from shore.

There is a tackle shop in Yarmouth (Strictly Fishing) when you arrive Ken can certainly help point you guys in the right direction.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Almost any lake you look at has either one or the other.
I will say towards Quinnan way has more pickerel or aleast used to;the bass seem to grow legs around these parts.
Theres a local fishing store across from the Armories, Parade street(Strickly fishing) or Carls store in Tusket that will give you some good information weither the stripers or blue fish are running.
I see you fished Vaughne for pickerel,theres a good number of smallies there as well.
Have fun.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Thanks again. Years ago when I was visiting, we fished mackeral from a wharf just north of Salmon River(St Mary's??) and had some success-also caught a dog fish(shark) there but I was there earlier in the summer
Anyone fish the lakes coming into Yarmouth.I believe one is called Doctor's lake. Are they any good?
I have fished smallies most times I am there but would like to try something different.
Is the Tusket River any good for stripers in August???
use to be a ton of stripers yrs ago they tell me but no longer, not too many even try for them anymore I think there isn't any food for them to follow in. Some blame the waste from fish plants etc but who knows. I know we have never had any luck trying to get them down here. But you maybe lucky enough that the blue fish maybe in when you come it is always alittle diff time each year but usually mid summer.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There is a tackle shop in Yarmouth (Strictly Fishing) when you arrive Ken can certainly help point you guys in the right direction.
second that, he is a real good fella and his wife is an avid angler too. They love to fish and love to help others catch em too, when I first started fishing agn after I moved here she was the first one to send me in the right direction

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Almost any lake you look at has either one or the other.
I will say towards Quinnan way has more pickerel or aleast used to;the bass seem to grow legs around these parts.
Theres a local fishing store across from the Armories, Parade street(Strickly fishing) or Carls store in Tusket that will give you some good information weither the stripers or blue fish are running.
I see you fished Vaughne for pickerel,theres a good number of smallies there as well.
Have fun.
and the smallies are usually a good size. Zum it is funny how they grow their legs maybe it is a mutation from the blue green algea lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for all the info-I will be sure to check out Strictly Fishing when I get there. I think I have been to the other bait/tackle shop in Tusket before (just across the old metal bridge below the 102 coming from Yarmouth???)Did I see that same bridge in the news earlier in winter being washed away after the heavy rains?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes she is gone just gdet off thge tusket exit next to the ford dealership instead
I remember the gas station off the exit but the Ford dealership shouldn't be to hard to find. I guess you need some heavy action rods for the bluefish???

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I used a 7ft med-heavy shimano with 15lb test and steel leader. They're toothy. I fished them in the chebogue and tusket river you could probably cast from shore on the chebogue river but if have a alum amd motor you could easily go out in the river which would probably be better. For the shark fest you would have to go with someone with a boat or a chart. Maybe get on someone elses boat if contact organizers they may help. We ususally go to the beer tent and watch the weigh ins down on the water front. Just google yarmouth sharkfest 2011.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should be in Yarmouth area on the 31st-apparently I will have the use of a 14 ft tinner but it will be limited to the Tusket River area as there is no trailer-will be fishing for smallies and chain pickeral
-will bring a medium action 7 ft spinning rod and a shorter lighter rod-I assume jigs/plastics and smaller crankbaits will be fine(limited space)
-will also try for mackeral from the different wharfs around Yarmouth and north of Salmon River-have a rig I bought the last time I was there-multi hooked with red/yellow feathers rig
-I read there is a chance for bluefish around the mouth of the Tusket River in August but heard the window of opportunity is small-are there any areas at the mouth for shore fishing-what bait is recommended for the blues
-will google the area to see if I can see any shore fishing areas
-will also visit Strictly Fishing in Yarmouth and see what they thinks
Any further assistance/suggestions would greatly be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Should be in Yarmouth area on the 31st-apparently I will have the use of a 14 ft tinner but it will be limited to the Tusket River area as there is no trailer-will be fishing for smallies and chain pickeral
-will bring a medium action 7 ft spinning rod and a shorter lighter rod-I assume jigs/plastics and smaller crankbaits will be fine(limited space)
-will also try for mackeral from the different wharfs around Yarmouth and north of Salmon River-have a rig I bought the last time I was there-multi hooked with red/yellow feathers rig
-I read there is a chance for bluefish around the mouth of the Tusket River in August but heard the window of opportunity is small-are there any areas at the mouth for shore fishing-what bait is recommended for the blues
-will google the area to see if I can see any shore fishing areas
-will also visit Strictly Fishing in Yarmouth and see what they thinks
Any further assistance/suggestions would greatly be appreciated
Thanks
Did get out a few time while I was there. Caught smallies and pickeral-the biggest smallie was about 17-18" and the pickeral about 4 lbs-most fish caught off of rocky points while using smaller shallow running bass crankbaits-also caught some fish on a ripplin red fin

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Did get out a few time while I was there. Caught smallies and pickeral-the biggest smallie was about 17-18" and the pickeral about 4 lbs-most fish caught off of rocky points while using smaller shallow running bass crankbaits-also caught some fish on a ripplin red fin
Hey Lund1665,

Glad to hear you got some fish while you were here. Did you use the boat, at all, or were you mostly shore fishing?

Just wondering. You mention, "off rocky points", but not whether you were on the water or on shore. I haven't fished that area much and was wondering how the shore fishing was?

Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Terran

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Lund1665,

Glad to hear you got some fish while you were here. Did you use the boat, at all, or were you mostly shore fishing?

Just wondering. You mention, "off rocky points", but not whether you were on the water or on shore. I haven't fished that area much and was wondering how the shore fishing was?

Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Terran
I had the use of a boat, so I was casting in towards shore. The water where I was fishing in the Tusket area was very tea stained so cranks with a wide woggle, helped the fish key on the bait. The fish, both smallies and pickeral were in all cases up tight to the shore/cover.
The access to the water, other then where someone's property was, was very rugged making access very difficult or near impossible, I would think.
The owner of Strictly Fishing told me that the body of water I was on, had the potential for some large pickeral. He said there were some close to 9 lbs in there, so the 4 lb I caught was a pretty good fish.
I was fishing the water on either side of the town of Gavelton between Lake Vaughan and Kings/Gavel Lakes.
Kings was better with rock island throughout and many rocky points-the largest pickeral came off the side of one of the island right up beside a large rock. I would have liked to have had a depth finder and an underwater camera to see how deep the areas we fished were and to get a better idea of the bottom structure. I have both but due to space, could not bring either but will reconsider if there is a next time.
We enjoyed our stay but the pace of life seems so much slower than here in Ontario.
I tried mackeral fishing once at Wedgeport on a tip from a customer at Strictly Fishing but it turn out to be a bust

1 - 20 of 20 Posts