Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna go fishing on Kinsac for Pickerel today - is it too cold now or can u still catch em this time of year? Would trout be a better option?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can catch them all year round.
They are fun through the ice on a soft rod.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never really done much pickeral fishing - a bit of ice fishing with gulp minnows or leeches and a little summer fishing with top water frogs or jitter bugs but would like to hear some other tips on what would work best at this time of year with or without ice - also the only place I have fished here is Fish lake I see some comments about Kinsac - any other good spots within an hour of the city? Tks

·
Registered
523 Posts
HI all,
We have several year around options down our way, and the technique in open winter water that seems to work the best for me is go slooooow.
This works with flies and lures - the pickerel are very sluggish to hit (but fight nicely once hooked), so they need the fly/lure right in front of them and seem to like them fairly slowly moving.
On the plus side, our tea stained waters here clear a lot in the winter, so the fish do see things a bit better, I'm convinced.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts