Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,353 Posts
I agree Gregger. I never liked the experimental turbines on the Annapolis and the damage it caused. The problem is no ones watching the turbines but the fox. I was assured no damage to marine life would happen in the Minas Basin by the Power Corp. I asked how it would be estabilished and I was assured it would be monitored but no one quite knew how. When the damage happens as it might have in this whale people like Mark Savory who work for the Power Corp says prove it! DFO hasn't the funds to get a crane to find out so...... the turbines didn't do it because you cant prove they did! There is a cost to Green Energy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree Gregger. I never liked the experimental turbines on the Annapolis and the damage it caused. The problem is no ones watching the turbines but the fox. I was assured no damage to marine life would happen in the Minas Basin by the Power Corp. I asked how it would be estabilished and I was assured it would be monitored but no one quite knew how. When the damage happens as it might have in this whale people like Mark Savory who work for the Power Corp says prove it! DFO hasn't the funds to get a crane to find out so...... the turbines didn't do it because you cant prove they did! There is a cost to Green Energy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gregger, I applaud you for raising this issue regarding the environmental impact of tidal energy solutions to the world's ever increasing demands for energy. However, based on the information currently before me, I can only say that your concerns are driven by a motivation to generate hysteria among the lay members of your community, and I can by no means support your initiatives to engender public support for your position. I am dismayed by what I consider to be your lack of objectivity to the issue. In my opinion, it is fine for you to raise the issue of turbine design and possible implications to marine life, however, I must question your credibility if you are so quick to link design issues with the appearance of a dead fin whale in the Bay of Fundy. I would like to direct you to the following website which shows the turbine fan being delivered to the floor of the Minas Channel:

http://www.nspower.ca/en/home/environment/renewableenergy/tidal/projectoverview.aspx

Is there anything about this turbine that suggests that something as large as a fin whale could receive a gash to its skin from this structure? Or are you suggesting that the turbine on the floor of the Minas Channel is something other than that shown in the website referenced above?

I want to be clear here, I am not trying to stir up a controversy, I just want to be sure we are focusing on what is the real issue at hand, is there a major flaw in the current turbine design or is it reasonable to expect a broken blade now and then and a dead whale, for whatever reason, now and then?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm with Hooker on this one. In the past, when dead whales turned up with gashes in them, the most common cause was collisions with large ships in the BOF. The masters of these large vessels were often never aware of these collisions. They did do a re route of large vessels(Tankers/container ships) to attempt to avoid the frequency of such events. At least one gash happened post mortem according to the report. I would, from looking at the design of the turbine,surmise that the body of such a large creature could not get into the interstices between the turbine blades thus negating the probability of gashing. My money is on a ship collision with the whale. It is entirely probable that a dead head or wharf timber is responsible for the loss/damage of the blades. From what I understand, these turbines have operated (in the Irish Sea??)for several years with no major problems (to the ecology or the turbines). Why, and how would they all of a sudden, start creating issues for whales?? In a lot of situations which appear to be relatively normal, once the hunt for conspiracy theories has proven fruitless, and we return to what appears to be the more obvious deduction, we usually astound ourselves with the discovery that the obvious is more often than not, more common, and correct. Unfortunately we shall have to wait for the turbine to be raised from the ocean floor for the definitive answer. Having said that, I still have far more of a problem with the John Buchanan Chowder Machine in Annapolis Royal. Regards....

·
Banned
585 Posts
I had heard a rumor that there was a decision to abandon ''a turbine project in the BOF'',....can't validate that personally, but I seen something on TV to that effect....I could be way off base or dreaming (lol that happens)

·
1,353 Posts
In agreeing with Gregger am I spreading rumours and fear mongering as well. I suspect so. I felt the same way about the tidal project on the Annapolis and it went ahead as as SM suggests it became a fish chopper. The supporters of the project said it wouldn't happen but guess what.....!
If was to suggest 2980 stripers, 4 haulibut, 1400 shad, 16 salmon were chopped up in a two week period by the BoF turbine why would I be any less right than a supporter of the project saying I have no proof and it hasn't hurt a single fish. Neither of us has any proof. The difference is the Annapolis Experimental Tidal Project has and continuues to do damage.
I heard that the whale was hit by a blade from the turbine after the blade was broken by a sturgen strike> Just kidding!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Perry, you and I both know that there now IS proof of damage to fish themselves and the the river in general. The very design of the Annapolis Royal power station led us,(along with many other anglers) to be extremely skeptical about the government pronouncements right from the git-go. The design of these "open" turbines makes me cautiously optimistic about their efficacy in producing both power and a very limited ecological impact on the BOF. That was NOT the case with Annapolis Royal!!! Am I correct in assuming that, unless there is minimal impact,(to be determined by intensive investigation, monitoring, and testing) the proposed "turbine farm(s)" will not be installed. The BOF is a national treasure. The AR Erection is a provincial disgrace,which was built on "half-truths" and, dare I say it, provincial government prevarications. Regards......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perry, you and I both know that there now IS proof of damage to fish themselves and the the river in general. The very design of the Annapolis Royal power station led us,(along with many other anglers) to be extremely skeptical about the government pronouncements right from the git-go. The design of these "open" turbines makes me cautiously optimistic about their efficacy in producing both power and a very limited ecological impact on the BOF. That was NOT the case with Annapolis Royal!!! Am I correct in assuming that, unless there is minimal impact,(to be determined by intensive investigation, monitoring, and testing) the proposed "turbine farm(s)" will not be installed. The BOF is a national treasure. The AR Erection is a provincial disgrace,which was built on "half-truths" and, dare I say it, provincial government prevarications. Regards......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey people, let's be fair. The Annapolis installation was put in place in 1984, that's 26 years ago. Is it fair to compare that site to the current Minas Channel site? Set me straight here if I am wrong, but the turbine in the Annapolis site is very different from the turbine currently sitting (and disabled) in the Minas Channel. I tried to research the design of the turbine in the Annapolis site, but could not find any info. If the turbine designs are different, it does nothing to our credibility to argue that what happened (the fish kill, which I will not begin to deny) in the Annapolis River will also happen in the Minas Channel.

The real issue here should not be about how we can generate more power from green sources, but about how we can reduce our energy consumption. I am sitting here right now in my kitchen which is at 25C. I don't have any fans or an air conditioner running. My family's laundry is out on the line blowing dry. I don't have a fancy water display running in my backyard. When the sun goes down, my house is not full of lights. I have even taken my LED Christmas lights down. I don't leave my car running in the winter to melt the frost that I can scrape off the windsheld and I don't leave my car ruuning in the summer so I don't overheat, what's wrong with a little bit of sweat now and then? I don't do the drive through at Tim's. I get my lazy butt off the seat and walk inside. I don't cruise the parking lot at the mall trying to find a parking spot close to the entrance. I take a distant parking spot, in consideration of those that are less able than I, and manage to walk the 200 m to the mall entrance. I even shovel my driveway in the wintertime, burning fat instead of fossil fuels, and getting a bit of exercise at the same time. Instead of buying a gym membership I work in my yard to burn off the fat from indulgening far too regularly.

We have got to get off of our dependence on fossil fuels. What would be the consequence of each of us saying that we would reduce our consumption by 10 or 20%? Maybe we could increae our capacity to inconveniece ourselves a bit and walk, bike , or carpool to work. We could reduce the time we sit in front of the TV by a few minutes each day and do a bit of manual labour. Does anyone have any data on the relative energy costs and time committment of ruuning a dishwaher versus manually doing the dishes? Or using the line instead of the dryer? How many of use have gone to the threatre or a restaurant in the summer time and frozen to death? And don't tell me you haven't driven by street lights or parking lot lights in the middle of the day and wondered why they are on. Maybe we need to establish a per capita energy consumption level, and tax anyone and any town/city that exceeds that level, and, as an incentive to be innovative, let's give a payback to those that come in under that level. In my opinion, those of us who do nothing to contribute to reducing energy consumption have no right to complain about the consequence of new energy alternatives. I believe we are way beyond discussing our need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hooker, Yes it is fair to compare the two. (They are both government sponsored) In my previous post I said I am "cautiously optimistic" BECAUSE of the new designs. Good on you for setting the example as an energy/conservation warrior. You will obviously leave the planet a better place than we, an older generation, have. Regards...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hooker, Yes it is fair to compare the two. (They are both government sponsored) In my previous post I said I am "cautiously optimistic" BECAUSE of the new designs. Good on you for setting the example as an energy/conservation warrior. You will obviously leave the planet a better place than we, an older generation, have. Regards...
Shimanoman, you (and other oldsters such as myself) aren't gone yet!! Never too late to try and use less. Lots of folks believe their contribution to negative environmental issues are just a drop in the bucket. Enough drops and the bucket overflows....Do what you can, and then a bit more, and not only will future citizens thank you, but all life will (inc. fish!)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am well aware that I have not yet "shuffled off this mortal coil" even though I have been contributing, as best I can, to the greening of Canada. I used the royal "we" because I was including those practices which were used, and accepted as "best practise" or at least,"acceptable" by Government and Industry for generations. I feel that, as a group, and on a per capita basis, our children and grandchildren, will do a far better job of caring for our planet than we have done. Do you think the terms "greed" "ignorance" and "wilful blindness"could be used as descriptors of our stewardship?? Sadly I believe those terms have their place in that context. I shall continue, in my small way to contribute as, no doubt, will you. The greatest good to come is in the future when the young, bright minds set to work and try to clean up the mess we have left for them. Regards......

Reactions: Shimanoman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts