Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circle Hook Survey for Anglers
In an effort to better understand what the angling community thinks about circle hooks, you are invited to complete a short online survey where you will have the opportunity to provide input on this topic. The target community is anglers in North America that have used circle hooks at least once. The information you provide us is important! By completing the survey, you help ensure that the results are as complete and useful as possible. Your participation in this survey is voluntary and you may decide to stop at any time. You cannot be personally identified. For further information on survey data collection procedures and safeguards regarding confidentiality, contact Dr. Steven Cooke (Associate Professor, Carleton University, Ottawa) at [email protected] Findings from the survey will be available at www.carleton.ca/fecpl by mid June. In addition, results from the survey will be incorporated into an overview presentation on biological and social aspects of circle hook use in recreational fisheries at the upcoming first world conference on circle hooks.
You can access the survey here: http://app.fluidsurveys.com/s/circlesurvey/
The survey portal will be open until April 10th 2011. Please share this posting with others that you know have experience with circle hooks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I will do the survey, but it won't be positive. I tried them once on a Senko wacky rig; I did the "just reel them in" method, I had at least 10 bites, and watched ten fish swin away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really love the circle hooks for shark and striped bass as you do not have to tend your line as close and makes them very easy to release.

·
Banned
767 Posts
I will do the survey, but it won't be positive. I tried them once on a Senko wacky rig; I did the "just reel them in" method, I had at least 10 bites, and watched ten fish swin away.
Hi scott;

I use circles with Senkos rigged "wacky", with an "O" ring, and never missed a fish yet. Are you 'burying' the hook? With circles I always expose the tip and sometimes a lot more of the hook. I don't know if that is your problem, but aside from using a size too small I can't think what the problem is. The fish should hook themselves just swimming away. If I've been no help maybe someone else can figure out a solution. Hope so.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hi scott;

I use circles with Senkos rigged "wacky", with an "O" ring, and never missed a fish yet. Are you 'burying' the hook? With circles I always expose the tip and sometimes a lot more of the hook. I don't know if that is your problem, but aside from using a size too small I can't think what the problem is. The fish should hook themselves just swimming away. If I've been no help maybe someone else can figure out a solution. Hope so.

cheers,

chuck
Size one hook, not buried.
The "o" ring method might work better; it would leave most of the hook out in the open.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Circle hooks were originally designed for commercial longline fishing. They work very well under certain conditions, and for certain species of fish. They were designed to be used for bait fishing on the longlines because the fish would take the bait, then swim away, and when the line tightens up, the hook gets lodged/set in the corner of the fishes mouth 99% of the time.

I have used them primarily for fishing bottom fish in the ocean with dead bait, and they worked GREAT!! Just like everything else in life, they have pros & cons! If you try them and they work for you, great, but if they don't, then just stick with what works for you!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts