Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mayor of a small town in Newfoundland, charged with poaching, says he found the 43 salmon that were in his possession by the side of a pond. This CBC article also sparked an on-line poll on how serious a matter poaching is. More than 2,200 people responded. Check out the story and poll results at:
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=611

·
Banned
585 Posts
According to the article he was stopped while transporting the fish. He says he had no involvement in the poaching though found the fish/net.

This could be true.

If the officers didn't catch him putting the net out previously, who is to say that he is not telling the truth?

If you found a net across a local river with salmon in it would you leave it there? I wouldn't, it would be coming out pretty quick. THat's not to say I am a poacher.

Then again I guess we don't know all the facts......any more info?
Trav

·
457 Posts
According to the article he was stopped while transporting the fish. He says he had no involvement in the poaching though found the fish/net.

This could be true.

If the officers didn't catch him putting the net out previously, who is to say that he is not telling the truth?

If you found a net across a local river with salmon in it would you leave it there? I wouldn't, it would be coming out pretty quick. THat's not to say I am a poacher.

Then again I guess we don't know all the facts......any more info?
Trav
i myself wouldn't pull the net not knowing whether or not it was there legally or not
but i sure as hell would make some phone calls and get the right people out there to check on things
and stick around to make sure it was looked into and dealt with
and even if he did know for sure the net was illegal and pulled it
he should of done nothing else at that point but call the athurites and let them handle it
(im curious to know where hes was going with the salmon)
one way or another he put himself in the position hes in and if he was just trying to do the
right thing i hope it all works out for him
where was he going with the fish

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If he meant no harm and knew that it was illegal and was ready to turn over these items to the authorities, why would he not use his cel phone to reach out and touch his local authorities??? He forgot the phone #?? He had no cel coverage?? Tell that to the marines... Regards....

·
Banned
767 Posts
A mayor, somebody with at least some political connections, is being taken to court?!?!

I can hardly wait to hear how this turns out.

chuck

·
Banned
585 Posts
appearntly the postion was volinteer...lol.

True enough shiener,...I guess I should clairify as well. What I meant to say was not to take the fish home with, but have it looked into, (I took not saying that for granted)... and your suggestion to make a call if possible is a great one. I suppose evidence should be left in order to catch the intending offender, though I wouldn't like to loose any more salmon to a net I guess was MY point (and I was speaking from a NS point of view).

Heck, you are not even allowed to fish salmon (hook and line) in NFLD without hiring a resident guide....but then again I assume he was a resident. THere has to be more to the story...

Trav

·
Registered
173 Posts
rather curious as why he didnt just report it right away.it seems a little fishy to me. (pardon the pun)
you would think that as mayor he would have some knowledge about the local fishing regs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts