Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down to the West River in Pictou County this morning and had planned on going to the power lines to try for some sea trout. However, on my way down the path I ran into some orange flagging tape blocking the path. I tried some other ways hoping that it might just be a deterrent for the main path but there is tape everywhere. I could easily have gone by it, but I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation with a local land owner. Anyone know what the deal is? I know that path gets used a ton by fisherman, especially in the fall during the salmon run. I realize that the fishing act states that no one can block access to a water way unless there is a commercial field, but there are fields down there. Not sure what to think. Kind of put off.

NSFlatlander

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was down to the West River in Pictou County this morning and had planned on going to the power lines to try for some sea trout. However, on my way down the path I ran into some orange flagging tape blocking the path. I tried some other ways hoping that it might just be a deterrent for the main path but there is tape everywhere. I could easily have gone by it, but I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation with a local land owner. Anyone know what the deal is? I know that path gets used a ton by fisherman, especially in the fall during the salmon run. I realize that the fishing act states that no one can block access to a water way unless there is a commercial field, but there are fields down there. Not sure what to think. Kind of put off.

NSFlatlander
Wow 80 views and not a single reply. I was hoping for a little guidence here. Especially since I'm fairly new to Nova Scotia and don't want to step on any toes just yet. I've done a bit of asking around and the consensus so far is that a local land owner doesn't have the right to restrict access to the river. Like I said before though, I'm not big on confrontation, and would like to avoid it, but I know that I'm not the only person that is going to be going down that path. Particularly in the fall when people come for the salmon. I was really hoping that someone that actually fishes the area might have some idea what is going on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If I were you I would simply go around the tape and go fishing. The tape was probably put there by someone trying to get the pool all to themselves. Your fishing license allows you the privilege to cross uncultivated land and no-one can stop you from walking through the woods to the water in Nova Scotia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts