Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just came in from my first attempt at catching some of these huge things. I had a flashlight, a light step, and quick hands, and I still failed most of the time. I saw a total of 8-10, and of those caught 1.5. Anytime I got near the flash of the light either caused them to start to contract, or as soon as I touched a blade of grass near them, they were completely gone. So how does everyone else do it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I just came in from my first attempt at catching some of these huge things. I had a flashlight, a light step, and quick hands, and I still failed most of the time. I saw a total of 8-10, and of those caught 1.5. Anytime I got near the flash of the light either caused them to start to contract, or as soon as I touched a blade of grass near them, they were completely gone. So how does everyone else do it?
Best thing to do is wait until it rains - when the ground is wet they are all over the place. You do have to be a little bit quick but when they ground is wet they are everywhere. Just takes a little practice - and some patience - happy hunting!

·
Registered
136 Posts
LOL 1.5 thats awsome. I use a LED headlamp (persoanally I find you can see them better with led lights) and wait until its damp out or in the rain and try to find a lawn or feild that has been cut a day or 2 before, and be ready with some fast hands. Thats what I do when I go for them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
lol it is just like fishing after a while you just get good at it, maybe your light was too bright that can spook them, other than that it sounds like you doing everything else right you just have to be fast make sure the grass is good and wet and try a dimmer flashlight.I try and grab them as close to their hole as possible not by the tail/head hope this helps good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I didn't think my light was too bright, it was a pretty small flash light with almost dead batterys, it was pretty dim. But my grass was kinda long..haven't had a change to cut it yet this weekend...

oh and yeah, the .5 part, it was near the end of my searching, after many failed attempts, I saved my likely easiest spot for last, i section with no grass, just soil, between my shed and fence, so it would have been dark long before the rest of the yard. When I peared in with the light, I saw 2, the first one i tried to ****** as quickly as i could...and well, ripped it in 2.. the second, i wanted to try and be more creative, so i already had a shovel out from digging in that area the day before, so i shoved the shovel under the second worm as deep as i could, and lifted, and flipped in a new spot... the worm was gone....same deal with the other half of the first worm....these buggers a quick...

·
Registered
212 Posts
OHHH yea BTW if it helps.... for my flashlight i use a little 1$ LED flashlight from the dollarama - even comes with 'extra heavy duty batteries' included lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Like tojo said, grab as close to the hole as you can. What I do is not to shine the light right on them, but off to the side just so you can see the worm in the less bright part of the light.

Another thing I do is take the hose and spray down the lawn (don't flood it but get a fair amount down) and go back out 15-30min later, this gets a lot more to the surface.

Hope this helps,
Billy

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally use a LED flashlight as well.Long grass is a no go usually.After a rain is the best of course.

I do not perfer to use a hose and water the lawn with it as the chlorine I find seems to make it so the Nightcrawlers don't last long.(Unless you are on a well then it should be fine)
One bit of advice I find is if I plan on keeping the worms for a bit of time-Keep them in the fridge with moss.Seems to work great for me.Also never put in a broken worm as I find it usually dies and then the rest of the worms are going to be dead soon after as well.
You can buy worm bedding and worm food at Wal-Mart or probably any fishing supply store.
I personally just use Moss and then for the food I sprinkle Powdered Milk onto the top of the moss.In the dark they will come up and eat it.

This is just what I do,but there are many others doing lots of differnt things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i find the later you go out after them , the more extended from the ground they are, some are even conjoined for mateing and you grab 2 at once, i even seen one latching on to a dandilion and tried pulling it and coundnt get it down the hole, I also agree with never keeping half worms unless you are useing them right away.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I dont take a shovel but I use a gardeners hand trowel and dig out a small clump all around the hole,they are usually within the clump and it is easy to replace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Best place you'll ever find is around the fringe of a golf green. I sold bait for years in PEI 7 lived 3 miles from a golf course. To get 80-100 dozen a night was the norm. Shienar had a mustard water method last year.
PS on the powdered milk method- use a used tea bag. The smell is much more pleasant when/if you forget them out of the heat & have to dump your old bait into the composter. Saves yakking your lunch up too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
personally i like a flashlight with a red lens or red celaphane over it, a wet night and short grass. just when the ground thaws in the spring i can average almost 300 a night, one night i managed to fill 1.5 ice cream container full......that was a lot of worms! right now i try to get atleast 20 per night(only on rainy night) but as mcmutt says Golf Courses = Great crawler picking!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Best place you'll ever find is around the fringe of a golf green. I sold bait for years in PEI 7 lived 3 miles from a golf course. To get 80-100 dozen a night was the norm. Shienar had a mustard water method last year.
PS on the powdered milk method- use a used tea bag. The smell is much more pleasant when/if you forget them out of the heat & have to dump your old bait into the composter. Saves yakking your lunch up too.
Better ask permission before you try wondering at night in a local golf course, A guy I worked with thought the same thing till he was arrested for trespassing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man this topic brings back a ton of memories of years gone by when my father was still alive. Of course as everyone mentioned the damper the better. If you have a park nearby with flower beds give them a look. Also, to beat them before they re-enter the whole... with your stealthy, ninja-like skills... press lightly on them and with your other hand... gently coax them out successfully avoiding the .5 worm.

Alex

1 - 20 of 43 Posts