Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its set foe the 22 Jan 2011, Prize layout will be the same as the last years, Will be a draw at the end for prizes and 50/50. Starts at 8:30am ends at 3:00pm. You still have to report on fish caught and kept and released.Hopefully we will have the ice. Forcast says we may have open water for Jan 1, but its winter that can change fast. Were looking for a bull horn to use for the day.As before that morn come down set up then register.Bikes are allowed but off the ice by 8:15 am.Hot coffee Tea , Hot choclate, plus hot dogs for lunch.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Open water as of today, check on the way home this evevning. Nice thing about this will have great ice fishing later this year.We may get to fish open water on the first,but by the third week were are usually on 6 to 12 inches. Touched base with a few of the big sponsors last week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello; New to this site but interested in the Catch the Rainbow on the 22nd.
I understand if no ice we fish from shore, but do you use regular fishing gear or smaller ice rods? Have not done winter trout fishing before and would like a little guidence please.
We did go to Meadow Pond the first day of fishing 2010, was nice spot, out of the three of us we got 1 trout.
Looking forward to Jan 22nd.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello;
I am looking for info on this upcoming Ice Fishing Tournament!
I have not winter fished before except for smelts a long long time ago.
Do you use regular fishing gear for trout winter fishing or smelt gear?
I have invited my Dad to come with me ; but I need any info on admission, bait, gear that anyone is willing to share with me.
Thanks a bunch.
Hope to see you there.
MJY

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
pretty basic, need an auger or a friend with one, small rod or old broken rod tip rigged up if don't have actuall ice rod, some smaller hooks and a split shot and some berkly trout bait and a kitchen ladle to scoop ice out of hole. I think it was 10 or 15 bucks you show up and fish, prizes are drawn for, Basically a fun social gathering.

Once to go once you are hooked and then next year you can spend 100s of dollars on gear lol
you'll end up with 10 rods several containers of jigs specific to ice fishing, flashers, tents etc.
Welcome to the addiction

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
ps must have your 2010 licence with you if didn't keep it I believe if you go to DNR you can get a day pass or a new one

·
Registered
125 Posts
Girlfisher..I don't understand..What's so addictive about this winter fishing?...lol

mjy, if you don't have an auger, don't worry about it...Winter fishers are like most fishers and will lend a hand with hole drilling and any other things you need to have a great day on the ice...Don't ever be afraid to walk up and say hello...This holds true for anywhere you see fishers on the ice...if you've got time, stroll on over and have a chat...Betcha make some new friends quickly...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My only hope now is we have ice for the event, By Mon Jan 3 none, we were there the day before clearing out the road. There was just a skim then.This was the first year in the history of the winter fishery there we coundn't fish on the 1st of Jan.Thanks Guys and Girls forthe above info for others. Entry fees yhis year are Family{two adults} for $25 gives you 2 50/50tickets.Single Adult $20 and gives you one 50/50 ticket,All kids under 16years fish free.There is a completely seperate prizes 1,2,3,for kids plus a large prize for a juinor angler.And as usual there will be on ice giveaways to both kids and adults.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.