Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who is planning on attending the CASA derby in Feb? I'll be heading out for some pre-fishing on Sunday pending weather and ice conditions, and I'm excited that somebody is willing to run another pickerel derby on the ice. I used to love Dave's derbies (the two years he held them), and I sincerely hope that I don't see a repeat of the stupidity I saw a few years ago when I caught a couple of yokels cheating and was threatened with being shoved down a hole for my troubles. Let's keep this derby freindly and fun folks, I don't want to lose another pickerel derby, it's been far too long since anyone has been willing to run one!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan on attending. I'm also really excited a tournament in Fish lake is back. I never had the opportunity to attend the old one but I live just down the road from Fish Lake. Can't wait!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Goodday,

Was checking the Feb.6 tournament and in the rules it has "Prepared bait" what would be considered prepared bait. Looking forward to the event and spreading the word.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No live minnows. No live anything is my understanding. Dead, and salted,or preserved, minnows are OK. Gulp products are OK. Power Bait is OK. Plastics are OK. Metal/plastic spoons are OK. I can't think of anything else. Hope this helps. Regards...

·
Banned
767 Posts
No live minnows. No live anything is my understanding. Dead, and salted,or preserved, minnows are OK. Gulp products are OK. Power Bait is OK. Plastics are OK. Metal/plastic spoons are OK. I can't think of anything else. Hope this helps. Regards...
You are probably right, but I have always understood that 'baits' come in three kinds--a/ live or newly dead minnows, worms and assorted bugs. b/ Artificial, including tied flies, spoons, spinners, plastics, etc., etc., and c/ Prepared--cheese balls, cured fish eggs/roe, stink baits, canned corn, salted minnows, pieces or strips of fish, hot dogs, dough balls, etc., etc.

Just sayin', is all.

chuck

·
Registered
228 Posts
hows the measuring of the fish going to work at the end of the day with dead fish or is there people coming around like tournaments in the past at fish lake?

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I THINK it is a live realease, which doesn`t make sense as we are targeting an invasive, but I think live release is in accordance with CASA's tournament policy so yeah, I assume we will have to possible bring make-shift live wells (won`t they freeze ?) and someone will coming around measuring fish. Anyone else know how it works ???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all,

The tournament on the 6th is shaping up to be a great one. You can check out our tournament poster on our website.

In addition to the main prizes, we have a ton of great prizes for draws, raffles and give-aways, including several rod & reel combos, more than $300 in tackle and more.

BBQ food will be available and an holes can be drilled for those without and auger for a donation of $1.

AS for the measuring of fish, please see below:

--------------

The CASA tournament will be OPTIONAL live-release. If people want to eat their Pickerel - they may retain them.

If the angler wants to RELEASE the fish, have have two options for fish measurement:

1. Raise a flag (given to you at registration) to have the fish measured. Anglers should have a cooler/bin filled with water in which to keep the fish alive for a few minutes while the officials make their way to measure the fish. All fish measured alive must be released in front of the official.

2. An angler can transport the fish using one of CASA's weigh-bags (filled with water) to the officials to be measured. Those fish will be released by the officials. There will be only limited bags available, so option 1 is preferred.

If the angler wishes to RETAIN their pickerel, they must ethically dispatch the fish immediately upon capture (i.e. no fish flopping on ice). Anglers can have the fish measured at any time. After measurement, a fin clipping will be removed from the dead pickerel to signify that is has been entered into the contest.

Anglers can measure as many fish as they wish, but only the 3 longest pickerel will be used.

Anglers retaining fish must abide by the bag limit.

CASA does not promote the wasting of fish, therefore if pickerel are being retained, they are to be consumed. 7
----------------------

I hope this helps, if there are more questions, please do not hesitate to contact someone from CASA via our website.

See you on the ice,

Eddie Halfyard

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I.ll be using a toat with a areator on my sled or wagon.Just wondering how thick the ice is now,hope to bring a bike.If anyone needs there gear up the lake when I go no problem.
Will check myself on next TUE pm.Lets hope for good weather and lots of ice and some big fish

·
Registered
296 Posts
A buddy of mine was there today and caught a couple lunkers.Ice was 9 to 11 inch thick.
I plan on attending this!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts