Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15.5'square stern Coleman canoe that I plan to carry in my truck with the tail gate down. This means that approximately 7' will hang out. Of course with a red warning flag. Can anyone tell me if this is legal here in Nova Scotia, or do I have to lean it up on the roof so that not so much sticks out.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 15.5'square stern Coleman canoe that I plan to carry in my truck with the tail gate down. This means that approximately 7' will hang out. Of course with a red warning flag. Can anyone tell me if this is legal here in Nova Scotia, or do I have to lean it up on the roof so that not so much sticks out.?
I checked this out a couple of years ago for the same reason. They told me anything that sticks out more than 3 feet must have a tail light on it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good to know. I should probably ask Access NS. You never know, they may even have an answer. LOL!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm... done it plenty of times with a 13' kayak and my bed is only 6'. Never had any troble but I might just have been lucky....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Section 185 of the Motor Vehicle Act in N.S. states:
Flag or light at end of load
185 Whenever the load of a vehicle extends more than 1 metre beyond the rear of the bed or body thereof, there shall be displayed at the end of the load in such position as to be clearly visible at all times from the rear of the load a red flag not less than 300 millimetres both in length and width, except that between one half hour after sunset and one half hour before sunrise there shall be displayed at the end of any such load a yellow or red light plainly visible under normal atmospheric conditions at least 60 metres from the rear of the vehicle or a reflector as provided in Section 174. R.S., c. 293, s. 185.

If it sticks out more than 3 feet you need to either have a light (which in most cases is not reasonable to do as it is lumber, etc.) or a flag.

Long story short, you are safe to carry it out the back of the flat bed truck as long as you have a red flat 30cm x 30cm attached to the end. If you didn't do this and you are traveling through Pictou County and I happen to stop you, as long as you tell me where you were fishing and what you were using for a lure or fly, I would let you go without a ticket. Lol.
Any other questions about the law, just reply.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Greenhill Man,

Thanks for the info.Just to be clear,a red or yellow reflector attached to both sides at the bow (which would be the end sticking out)is acceptable when dark or during the 30 min deal? A red flag will always be in place during transport.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
David,

I'd be inclined to use one of those red LED tail lights that are designed for bicycles. They only cost a few bucks and could be attached easily with velcro, etc.

Paul

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect..I will get a couple this weekend along with Jig heads,Gulp Minnows,Suspending and floating Raps,Floro. leader,Muddler Minnows,New Power Pro,New PFD's,Grubs,ect.ect.ect.......................
GIVE A MAN A FISH,HE WILL EAT FOR A DAY..
TELL A MAN WHAT TO FISH WITH AND HE WILL GO BROKE !!!!! LOL..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Perfect..I will get a couple this weekend along with Jig heads,Gulp Minnows,Suspending and floating Raps,Floro. leader,Muddler Minnows,New Power Pro,New PFD's,Grubs,ect.ect.ect.......................
GIVE A MAN A FISH,HE WILL EAT FOR A DAY..
TELL A MAN WHAT TO FISH WITH AND HE WILL GO BROKE !!!!! LOL..
I like your enthusiasm man

·
Registered
160 Posts
Greenhill Man,

Thanks for the info.Just to be clear,a red or yellow reflector attached to both sides at the bow (which would be the end sticking out)is acceptable when dark or during the 30 min deal? A red flag will always be in place during transport.
Pmorris summed it up nicely. Buy a bicycle light that flashes red and you are good after dark. The biggest thing with me and my co-workers is atleast make a legitimate attempt to follow the law. What I mean is, if your red flag is 20cm x 20 cm I don't think any Police Officer would ticket you..... atleast I wouldn't. But don't haul it with nothing on and pled ignorance when stopped or you will get a ticket. At least make an attempt at trying to follow the law.

If you are ever up Pictou County way and want to try the small mouth bass in the Middle River in my boat, give me a message. And yes, I have lights on my trailer, lol.
Good luck next week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GM,
Thanks for the tips. Be assured that I will follow the letter of the law.Unlike our friend,kungfuwho,I realize that these laws are in place for a reason..
Regards, P.S. My mother in law owns a cottage in Pictou on the shore. I will accept your kind offer on a trip. Just remember we all have to work for a living and I live in Dartmouth,so,lets say you give me about 2 hrs. notice..Sounds about right?LOL...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts