Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am coming up to Nova Scotia for the first time on the 20th. Would like to fly fish for Salmon a couple days. I saw the post about closing certain areas but didnt understand. We have no reservations. My girlfriend and I are just heading that way from Bethel Maine (where I hope to fly fish for trout)on the 19th. I understand the Margaree is a/the premiere river. Can anyone provide any advise? Things like where, fly rod size, flies (or fly shops close to fishing opportunities). I would be more than happy to provide info on Fla fishing for anyone that likes oily fish ;-).

Regards, Steve

·
Registered
344 Posts
you can angle Margaree this month as long as you purchase a non resident salmon license no guide is needed and there is a fly shop at the Margaree Forks right next to the visitor information center the owners name is Peter he should be able to help you with anything you may need, as far as gear you should have a 8 or 9 wt rod and a reel with at least 150 yards of backing i prefer 200+ just because you never know if a big one is willing to strike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Steve - you'll want to head to Cape Breton. While there are a number of excellent rivers, the Margaree is the most friendly re. access to pools, information and guides.
You'll want a 7 to 9wt rod, floating line and a selection of size 6 - 10 wet salmon flies (Blue Charm, Undertaker, Green Butt Black bear, Cosseboom) and a handful of bugs and bombers.
There are pool maps available from several places on the river - though if you really want a chance at a fish, I would contact a local guide and get their services for at least your first day.
Before you step in the water, make sure you've gotten a run down on the pool rotation etiquette. it's a strictly enforced policy, and breaking it is the only sure way to turn your fishing experience into a negative one.

There is a decent fly shop right at the margaree forks, and you can buy flies at the salmon museum, the Fish Hatchery, and a few other local stopping places.

Atlantic Salmon, and particularly on public water like the Margaree, are a fish of 10,000 casts. You'll improve your odds drastically with a guide.

Good luck - you'll enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts