Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,353 Posts
OK, that settles it!!! I'm getting a new camera. Do you think it would help? Great images. I would think a book on insects and the flies that imitate them would be in order!

·
Banned
585 Posts
OK, that settles it!!! I'm getting a new camera. Do you think it would help? Great images. I would think a book on insects and the flies that imitate them would be in order!
I agree Perry, that would make a stunning book, likely widely sought after!

Trav

·
1,353 Posts
Is it normal for this caddis to hatch this time of year? I say this after guiding the last couple days while in a "T" shirt walking thru fields of dandilions! lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've never gotten into identifying caddis this time of year, but there's always a hatch on the begining of deer season(last week of October or first week of November), never had a close look, but I always thought they were what they call the October Caddis. I don't fish this time of season, so I never really had any interest in identifying them. I like fishing the tan hatches, things get explosive, the best caddis hatch I've fished on CB.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is it normal for this caddis to hatch this time of year? I say this after guiding the last couple days while in a "T" shirt walking thru fields of dandilions! lol
The little brook near my house - about 1 m wide under normal conditions always has a good hatch in Nov. Best way to see them is to put a ladder on my shop and they will be near the top on a warm evening. Saw 12 - 14 last evening.
Thursday I was asked to examine a bridge over a similar stream for a trail group. There was a good hatch there also. Both brooks have a natural brook trout population - not many but a few.
Paul

·
Registered
587 Posts
The biggest problem with caddis flies is that there are hundreds of different species and only a handful of common names. So you really have to go back to the scientific name to make an identification. Lucky there are very few caddis that hatch this late in the season and Thomas Ames has authored a excellent guide on eastern caddis flies. This is the second last caddis to hatch in the fall, the last is the winter caddis. I don't have a picture of the winter caddis yet.
Hi Bugman
I saw another caddis yesterday but just 1 or 2.
Larger than the regular caddis - noticeably.
Perhaps regular is size 16 - latter on size 12.
Saw them from the ladder!
Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts