Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this website online called reelflies.ca looks like some good flies and prices on there, and its canadian so no exchange or crazy customs problems. Anyone else ever hear of it or use it? if so is it any good? thanks

·
Banned
767 Posts
I just found this website online called reelflies.ca looks like some good flies and prices on there, and its canadian so no exchange or crazy customs problems. Anyone else ever hear of it or use it? if so is it any good? thanks
Hi;

I bought a bunch of bass flies from them last winter. The guy, Steve, that owns and operates the business is very obliging. The prices are good, and the flies look fine to me. So far, no problems.
I have recommended them in the past, and do now.

It's always best to see before you buy, especially on the web, so if you're hesitant just order a few and see how you like them. If you do like them, then spend some real money.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chuck! From the pics on the site they look pretty good. Lots of various bass flies that catch my eye! I guess I'll give em a try maybe!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've ordered from reelflies.ca a couple of times and been very happy with the service and the quality of the flies. I've also had good experiences with flyshack.com, although they are in the US.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Has anyone had any bad experences from buying online from Bass Pro or Cabellas Canada? How are the duty fees for buying from the USA? Christmas is coming. :D

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yessir, I have made purchases from Bass Pro twice and Cabelas twice. Bass Pro has better shipping rates and a better selection, IMO. Bass Pro charges a $3.50 brokerage fee and most often you can get free shipping with their promotions they always run. I just got a package yesterday of stuff I cannot find around here. A bunch of Lindys Darters, Gulp alive leeches, a 7" fish tv, assorted rattling flyers, spring bobbers, etc. Bass Pro has a great selection of ice fishing gear too. My wife just bought me an insulated hat and a nice pair of gloves from them for xmas for ice fishing too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would recommend basspro, as youll probably pay maybe a total of 20 bucks on taxes and fees and most likely free shipping and itll be at your door in abou 4 days(thats what it is for me). Big name companies usually charge you brokerage up front, if at all, and its nenver much. I also order from various others that are located in the states and very rarely pay any brokerage over ten bucks. Five to ten years ago things were different, I remember getting nailed on my doorstep with like 70 dollar brokerage fees more than once. IMO these days buying online is nothing but maybe a bit better than in person. Even with brokerage fees youll still pay less than what you would pay for the same thing here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Big name companies usually charge you brokerage up front, if at all, and its nenver much........Five to ten years ago things were different, I remember getting nailed on my doorstep with like 70 dollar brokerage fees more than once. ....... Even with brokerage fees youll still pay less than what you would pay for the same thing here.
Yeah, that is what I am talking about, getting dinged with a very big surprise fee called duty. (Made me always ask what happened to free trade.) Good to hear the positive feedback, and that this doesn't happen with Bass Pro.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just bought some super flukes, and some jigging raps can't beat there prices and free shipping. It shipped in a couple days and the packaging was super great :) will definatly be buying from them again

·
Registered
842 Posts
OND.Have look at Amazon.ca .I have bought a few things from there .. usually free shipping and pretty good prices.

I got a Fishfinder there for about $50 less than anywhere else.also got a cover for my boat on sale - $100 less than Can Tire

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bought from reelflies.ca before. No hassle. Free shipping if you buy a bulk order worth more than $60, I think, which will fill your fly box pretty nicely. But I believe they have specials throughout the year, too, if you keep an eye out on their site.

Caught fish on their products, too.

Yeah, you've got to be careful about U.S. sites. Bought a rod from Bass Pro online on sale and with free shipping but it arrived damaged & I had to pay $30 shipping to return it. They sent me a replacement rod but DID NOT reimburse the shipping charge I paid to return the original. Ended up costing me more than if I had bought the same product from a Canadian website at full price.

Bought clearance line from Orvis.com once. Got dinged for $20 duty on a $40 order. Won't go back to them.

Cabelas Canada is decent, pretty reasonable shipping costs, no duty.

I'll be buying online from sites for products I can't get locally but I won't be going to a U.S.-based site again. I'll wait till BP's Moncton shop opens to visit in person.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I stopped into Better Buy Sports on the way home tonight. Man, that place is expensive. The Ralapa jigging rap sells for $6.99 on Bass Pro. The same lure sells for $14.99 at Better Buy Sports. And their ice fishing selection is deplorable. They had maybe 10 different items in one small section of a shelf and all for smelt. No ice shelters, no jigs, no ice rod combos, no ice scoops, no augers, and on and on. I told the staff they need to work on their inventory and one of the gals there told me she told the boss the same thing. But that same gal told me that she doesn't return chain pickerel to the water and instead she leaves them on the ice or shore "for the eagles." (despite it being illegal).

Until they improve their inventory and reduce their prices, I see little need to go back. When Cabelas and Bass Pro opens in 2015, their business will take a hit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My Christmas wish list is already on Cabellas waiting for my wife and parents to go through. :p

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I just had the misfortune of shopping at the Canadian tire in New Minas. I went in to purchase two items that the website said were in stock. Neither were on the shelf so I asked the young guy to take a look at out back for me as their store inventory and online info said they were in stock. He didn't appear very interested when he snatched up his keys,walked down the aisle and then proceeded out back. 3 to 4 minutes later someone pressed the customer service help button which summoned him back to his counter and he immediately appeared to tell me that neither product could be found out back. I asked him "are you sure you don't want to check better than that?" He said everything was in a bin and the items were not in the bin. One of the items I have been following on the website for a couple of weeks and today it showed up on the website for the New Minas store. He said his inventory showed one in stock but he could not find it. Very unhappy with that customer service.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm going to be getting some stuff for christmas from bass pro shops website and I'm wondering how much roughly they charge for the "duty and brokerage fees" and if there are any other hidden charges I should be aware of

edit** just read up about the brokerage fee

still wondering about duty and any extra fees though thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I have made a couple of orders from Bass Pro. Brokerage is $3.50. Duty is only on items not made in Canada or US...otherwise the free trade agreement kicks in. I got dinged for $40 on a $450 order earlier in the fall but largely due to a fish tv. Their prices are still worth it. You can call the customer service to get a price on duty on your order before you make it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts