Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'm thinking of build a bamboo rod over the winter. I have found some kits on-line tha have everything to produce them . They are blank kits and all they need is assembling.
Up for the challange, just wondering if anyone has tryed doing this before?
Perry, any insight on how difficult of a challange this may be?
Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are building a bamboo fly rod and want to read the absolute best, & definitive book on the subject, The Master's Guide To Building a Bamboo Fly Rod is what you need. It was written by Hoagy Carmichael (famous musician,actor) & Everett Garrison (Garrison Rod Co.) It is a classic. I had a first edition once, but it was borrowed & never returned. If you have a kit, I'm sure the instructions will be sufficient. The book actually went into the manner of how to choose the best bamboo,store it,cut it,plane it, char it, block it and a lot of the esoterics. A kit, I'm sure, will do away with a lot of the chores described in the book and,I assume makes the construction fairly straight forward. The reward,is in the fishing with an expensive, quality named bamboo rod (Garrison,Payne Leonard,Hardy, Allcock, Pezon et Michel,Orvis to name a few)[not the mass produced bamboo things which we used to be able to buy at Canadian Tire]. The book, aside from it's instructional value, is a joy to read as well. Perhaps Perry is familiar with it. I'm sure Perry has fished with some of the above brands as well as some others. They handle totally differently than the High Modulous Graphite rods of today. They take a bit of getting used to but they are VERY pleasant. You ought not to be disapointed. Regards...

·
Registered
195 Posts
what blank were you looking at. I'm building on an all ready made blank this winter. It's a Highland Mills blank, they're suppose to be nice blanks, it's a jim payne 101 taper, 7'6" 5wt. The blanks are 399.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I 'm thinking of build a bamboo rod over the winter. I have found some kits on-line tha have everything to produce them . They are blank kits and all they need is assembling.
Up for the challange, just wondering if anyone has tryed doing this before?
Perry, any insight on how difficult of a challange this may be?
Thanks,
Peter
Where did you find the kit?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a guy with a online store out of New York State that is willing to put the kit together for me with everything I need to build it.
The blank is a Jim Payne #97 taper 6"6',2/2 3-4wt; should be a great trout rod for early streams.
Does anyone here have much experience withbuilding rods? I'm sure I will have lots of questions!

·
1,353 Posts
If you can tie your shoes you can build a rod. The kit would supply the materials and guide spaceing and the method of assembly would be explained by members I am sure. I would recommend you strip an old broken rod and practice on it before doing bamboo. Bamboo is no diferent but expensive to do your first. I have an old bamboo rod you could strip and practice on if you wish. Be aware a Jim Payne taper is not a Jim Payne rod. A Jim Payne rod is beyound expensive. Thats not to say the rod isn't great you would be getting just it is what it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Perry and thanks for the offer of the practice rod. I'll send you an e-mail about getting up to your place to get it.
I just got Dave to add a Rod building form for all these topics, so we could switch over to that with all these replies.
Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bullet: I have been making bamboo rods for the last number of years and am up to number 34. These have been as light as a 2wt for little streams to a 9"6" 8wt which has tackled large salmon with success. This year at the local ASF dinner one of my salmon rods made $800 at auction - which was pleasing.

To accumulate the tools required to make a rod from a raw culm takes a bit of time and cash - or you can make many of them yourself if you are prepared to put in a lot of effort. To make up a rod from a blank does not require tooling, although a well designed stand for putting on the wraps is helpful. If you buy a ferruled blank you can get all the other bits, (reel seat, cork, guides and wrapping silk (actually nylon)) from Fishing Fever on Agricola Street here in Halifax. Real silk is harder to come by, but looks so much smarter. Ferrules can be ordered from a variety of US sources but you have to know what size and they run from $50 - $70 a set by the time you get them here. I have tried the import blanks (along with other stuff for fly fishing) from China and while they look great I have found them disappointing to fish - which is a shame as I find bamboo rods a joy to use.

I would be very happy to talk to you about the process and give you any tips I can, if you let me know how to reach you.

Marcus Wide

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like perry said, your not getting a Jim Payne blank, it only a Payne taper. You have to be carefull what your buying, especially on ebay. I was looking at those rods, not something I'd purchase myself, but for someone wanting to try it for the first time, maybe. I'm looking at a blank that was from Highland Mills out of West Virginia, unfortianatly they're no longer in business but the guy I deal with has some left. He's had quite a bit of experiance with boo rods and has been looking for blanks for quite a while and these were the only ones that he would bring in. I hope to some day, when I get my own place out here in Alberta, to put some cash into buying the tools to make my own.

It's good to know we have some guys on here who have experiance building boo rods, because I will probably have some questions when the time comes, LOL. I've done quite a few graphite rods, but never a boo. I think my biggerst thing will be the furrels, I don't believe they are furreled yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is some general info for anyone interested in bamboo fly rods (and after years with graphite I am a total convert).

If you want to make up a blank beware of the Chinese made ones that most on-line retailers will supply. My experience is that they do not fish well - although they can look great - you get what you pay for. There are a number of professional makers who sell blanks as well as finished rods - and of these I can recommend Shenandoah Rods (Google that name and go to Custom Blanks on the site. Chris Bogart who makes them is very helpful and will guide you to the taper that suits your use and you can get them ferruled or not with a range of other options. These are not cheap (again you get what you pay for)- but great value and you will be very happy with how they fish. There are lots of others.

If you are more ambitious and want to build from scratch, there is one tool (other than a strong knife, a file, a block plane and some string) that you cannot do without - the planing form (every thing else you can work around)so used to put the taper on the strips that are bound together to make the blank. These can be pricy and so far I have only found them in the US think shipping and duty (they weigh a ton) on top of a price - which is anywhere from $400 - 900. Or you can make one - here is a site with instruction on how to do this (and other helpful stuff) http://www.thomaspenrose.com/form01.htm

Still undecided ? Clarks Classic Flyfishing Forum is a site dedicated to bamboo rod making and fishing, with a number of professional rod makers and host of talented amateurs who are regular and enthusiastic visitors - all of whom offer advice, assistance and support in all areas of bamboo rod making and fishing - its great place to get a feel for the hobby.

Hope this inspires someone!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts