Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some jig heads and bucktail with the hopes of making some cheap lures. I've been making steady progress with my abilities. However I was wondering what colours, patterns and materials other people have had success with? Also where they were used and what was caught?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I recently bought some jig heads and bucktail with the hopes of making some cheap lures. I've been making steady progress with my abilities. However I was wondering what colours, patterns and materials other people have had success with? Also where they were used and what was caught?
Iuse bucktails a-lot .I tie my own and have really done well with them .I fish for smallmouth from ice out to freeze up .when the water is cold there's only two things tied on my rods ,suspending plugs and hair jigs . don't limit youself to only bucktail , lots of other materials work as well or in conjuntion with . I have seen days when a trailer on them help , but you have to just experiment and find out. I have used them in every situation possible . I have two on my rods now from when i just fished a tournament down in bridgewater .I have very succesfully sight fished with them on very pressured fish , and they're very good for susspended fish in cold water as well .I use anything from 1/32 to 3/8 . most of my fishing is done with a 1/4 oz .As far as patterns , don't mess with success , tie your hair jigs the same as you would a streamer . just think of it as a fly you can cast instead of using a fly rod .the most common materials I use is bucktail, mallard flank , hackle , rabbit strips, and surprisingly yarn.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bucktail works well for tying your own hair jigs. I like to add a few strands of crystal flash as well to the mix as blend 2 or more colors of bucktail. Marabou works good for tying jigs too.

I tied a few tiny marabou jigs about 1/32 oz and about an inch long and did pretty good with them for ice fishing rainbows. I usually catch bass with the hair jigs, and chain pickerel love them too. They will smash a hair jig wiggled in front of there face.

For the bucktails I usually use 1/16 to 1/4 oz jig heads, and use a variety of colors from natural colors to pink and chartruse.

One of my personal favorite color combos is mix of chartruse with orange and black. I call it fire tiger, because it resembles the color. and it's where I got the idea, since it has always been a good fish catcher.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cold water sallies love bucktail jigs....however I have found a 1/16th ounce jig with a 1/0 hook with some fox hair is by far the best cold water bass lure I have fished with. They like green, black, and pink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts