Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,698 Posts
Are there even Bluefish in Nova Scotia?
Hey Mackeral Man,

Bluefish aren't native to Nova Scotia, but when the waters warm enough have shown up in the Yarmouth area and on several occassions in St. Margarets Bay and areas along the coast.

Here is the Wikipedia page on Bluefish.

If my memory serves, the last year I recall Blues in St. Margarets bay was 2009. If they were here since I didn't hear anything. No sign of them this year yet.

However, there is some major Tuna action in the Bay now. Good numbers and many are reporting sighting them very near shore. Absolutely amazing to watch.

If anyone has heard of any Blues around this year, let us know.

Tight Lines,

Terran

· Registered
48 Posts
Hey Mackeral Man,

Bluefish aren't native to Nova Scotia, but when the waters warm enough have shown up in the Yarmouth area and on several occassions in St. Margarets Bay and areas along the coast.

Here is the Wikipedia page on Bluefish.

If my memory serves, the last year I recall Blues in St. Margarets bay was 2009. If they were here since I didn't hear anything. No sign of them this year yet.

However, there is some major Tuna action in the Bay now. Good numbers and many are reporting sighting them very near shore. Absolutely amazing to watch.

If anyone has heard of any Blues around this year, let us know.

Tight Lines,

Terran
Thanks Terran,I had never heard of Blues around Nova Scotia but now that I know there are sometimes I will have to fish for them. What do do use to catch them? I have fished them in Maine using spoons with very good luck but would that work here or would bait or something with scent be better?
Thanks,
Mackeral Man

2,698 Posts
I always thought you could find bluefish around Yarmouth most years or at least a lot of years when the water is at its warmest and it was only odd years here and there where they don't show up?
Stevebourque,

That's pretty well the case. Yarmouth gets a much more consistent return as long as the water temp is suitable. Further up the coast towards HRM they become a fairly rare and anticipated occurrence.

I haven't fished them in Yarmouth and am not quite sure if they come in close to shore, down there, or are found more offshore. The Blues in St. Margaret's Bay and around the Aspotagan Peninsula can be caught fairly close to shore, as they are feeding on the Mackerel. Deep Cove is often a good spot, when they are around.

Tight Lines,

Terran

2,698 Posts
Thanks Terran,I had never heard of Blues around Nova Scotia but now that I know there are sometimes I will have to fish for them. What do do use to catch them? I have fished them in Maine using spoons with very good luck but would that work here or would bait or something with scent be better?
Thanks,
Mackeral Man
Hey Mackeral Man,

Larger spoons and anything that represents a Mackerel will work when they feeding. As you probably know, a steel or titanium leader is a must. These toothy critters are like fishing for a cross between a Pollock and a Piranha. I've seen guys using large Rapala's on the surface having some luck. Although, they'll chew the paint off a Rapala fairly quickly.

Here's a link to some YouTube clips about How to Catch Bluefish. Take a look. You can also Google, "How to Catch Bluefish" for some other interesting info.

Hope this was a little helpful.

Tight Lines,

Terran

· Registered
48 Posts
[quote name='Terran' date='14 July 2011 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1310695787' post='22073']
Hey Mackeral Man,

Larger spoons and anything that represents a Mackerel will work when they feeding. As you probably know, a steel or titanium leader is a must. These toothy critters are like fishing for a cross between a Pollock and a Piranha. I've seen guys using large Rapala's on the surface having some luck. Although, they'll chew the paint off a Rapala fairly quickly.

Here's a link to some YouTube clips about How to Catch Bluefish. Take a look. You can also Google, "How to Catch Bluefish" for some other interesting info.

Hope this was a little helpful.

Tight Lines,

Thanks Terran, this helped for sure. Even when you have a leader on you still have to be careful I was cut off a few times in Maine. I was told it was because once the first one bites the others will just basically swim with their mouths open and bite anything that gets in it which in certain cases happened to be my line lol.
Thanks, Mackeral Man

· Registered
197 Posts
The Chebogue river or Tusket river in Yarmouth seem to get a run every year.
The problem is the older fishermen,that used to cruize the river everyday,have passed on and you need to be on the water regularly,to see when blues and stripers are running.
They can be a ball with top water plugs,they'll hit just about anything when feeding.

· Registered
33 Posts
hey guys

i lived in eastern passage for 10 years know and me and my dad always mackeral fish but befor we had spinners instaed of mackeral rigs and my dad got a 6lb bluefish 4 years ago and i seen 1 jump at fishermans cove must be chaseing in the mackeral

· Registered
520 Posts
That's the one. Right by MacCormacks Beach Provincial Park. You can either fish off the wharf if there are not too many boast moored there or fish off the beach at the end of the wooden walkway in the park. Personally I prefer to park in the gravel parking lot and walk to the end and fisj off the beach.

Happy Good Times.

James

2,698 Posts
Any word if the bluefish are here?
Thanks,
Mackeral Man
Hey Makeral Man,

Things have been pretty quiet regarding the Blues. Only thing I've heard is they are getting a few down in the Tusket, Yarmouth area. If they are up further, folks are keeping it under their hats.

Wish I could be more helpful. Hoping somebody else has heard some good news.

Tight Lines,

Terran

1 - 20 of 23 Posts