Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does or has anyone done any ice fishing for pickerel on blacketts lake? not my fish of choice but i wouldnt mind trying to pull a few through the hole if they're there.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
fill your boots fry em up with dill pickle chips as a coating, yummy this time of year nice white flaky meat and you'll be helping those brookies

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you cant even fish smelt in blackett's? i thought as long as there were smelt to fish you could ice fish. It should at least be open to pickerel to help keep those numbers down...

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's classed as inland waters, non-tidal. Only specific lakes, which are listed in the regs, and tidal waters.

I agree the more pickerel taken would be good but there is a downside.....

If a lake is opened for winter fishing, then it may lead to more spreading of invasive species. What I mean is....someone who wants "his" favorite lake opened all year then they may introduce pickerel to the lake, thinking that if they did it to Blacketts lake than they will do it to all lakes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It might cause a threat of spreading invasives in that case, for idiots out there that go around doing that sort of thing.

But if they had more lakes open and more species of fish open for a winter fishery, such as stocked brook trout, then I think that wouldn't be much of a problem in the first place.

·
457 Posts
It might cause a threat of spreading invasives in that case, for idiots out there that go around doing that sort of thing.

But if they had more lakes open and more species of fish open for a winter fishery, such as stocked brook trout, then I think that wouldn't be much of a problem in the first place.
im with hardcore on this one
i think if the opened more lake for stock trout and perch
it might actually deter the bucket brigade
with more fishing options hopefully people wouldnt feel the need
to spread somthing like pickerel around in hopes
of a year round fishery coming from it

·
Registered
250 Posts
im with hardcore on this one
i think if the opened more lake for stock trout and perch
it might actually deter the bucket brigade
with more fishing options hopefully people wouldnt feel the need
to spread somthing like pickerel around in hopes
of a year round fishery coming from it
Agreed

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think having more lakes open will stop these idiots. These are probably the same ones that would be fishing the lakes in the winter anyway, it goes on a lot in CB. CB has a great winter fishery, a few more lakes would be nice. There's already the #20 Dam, Lever's Lake and the Bras D'or for rainbow and the lakes in the Highlands for brookies. It would be nice to see them open some more lakes in the Highlands that are easyer to access and are over populated with small fish. Openning Levers for brookies wouldn't be so bad either. There's a few lakes that are over populated with white pearch that could be openned as well, but I don't see it putting a stop to the spread of invasives.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't think it would stop the threat altogether, there are always gonna be the select few unfortunately that will do as they please, but I think it certainly would curb the problem.

The wanting of more opportunities for all year, and winter fishing in Nova Scotia is certainly there, and increasing every year. So it only makes sense that the supply meets the demand.

Not to mention the extra revenue that it would generate for the province and possible extra licenses they could sell yearly. maybe being able to give a little $$$ to the dfo, dnr, that could be spent on maybe a little extra man power trying to catch these so called bucket brigades.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with Ducknutz in that one theory of thought is to not open Blackettes so that if that was the intention of the illegal introduction then they shouldn`t get what they wanted, but yeah, in a couple years there wont be any salmon or trout to worry about anyway so they may as well open it. Or at least the inlet (gillis lake)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't think having more lakes open will stop these idiots. These are probably the same ones that would be fishing the lakes in the winter anyway, it goes on a lot in CB. CB has a great winter fishery, a few more lakes would be nice. There's already the #20 Dam, Lever's Lake and the Bras D'or for rainbow and the lakes in the Highlands for brookies. It would be nice to see them open some more lakes in the Highlands that are easyer to access and are over populated with small fish. Openning Levers for brookies wouldn't be so bad either. There's a few lakes that are over populated with white pearch that could be openned as well, but I don't see it putting a stop to the spread of invasives.
too true there are alot of poachers around and the more remote the area the better it is for them to get away with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts