Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out troutin' near mooseland the other day and most, not all, but probably 10 out of 15 trout had black dots all over them. never seen this before, a friend of mine told me they could be mites, anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was out troutin' near mooseland the other day and most, not all, but probably 10 out of 15 trout had black dots all over them. never seen this before, a friend of mine told me they could be mites, anyone seen this before?
Did they brush of? If they did then I think what you saw was lice or mites. As for anything about them I'm not sure. I was fishing folly lake and caught a trout with black dots like yours and I was told it was lice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they brush of? If they did then I think what you saw was lice or mites. As for anything about them I'm not sure. I was fishing folly lake and caught a trout with black dots like yours and I was told it was lice.
no they didn't rub off, and other then the spots, all the fish had very nice colors and seemed to be healthy. we did however troll past a trout belly up with some large puncture marks in the side of him. tried to dip him, but he still had enough left in him to get away. later saw a bald eagle and a and an osprey over the lake.

·
1,353 Posts
Good post Red Devil. That's exactly what it is. One word of caution, consumption of trout with black spot can cause impotence
So it is best to put them back.
Ha,ha,ha!!!!LOL Good one!!

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Good post Red Devil. That's exactly what it is. One word of caution, consumption of trout with black spot can cause impotence
So it is best to put them back.
My wife told me they were harmless and kept serving them to me...

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
136 Posts
its called Black Spot Disease and it is primarily in speckled trout. usually they have black spots scattered all over but if a fish is infected enough the body takes a black appearence. If you cut out one of the spots you might find a small parasitic worm surrounded by a thick wall that some studys call a cyst. It started in Quebec back in the 30's. If you catch one covered with the black spots as bad as it sounds, kill it and throw it for the raccoons. Its not good to eat and its not good to be in the water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A friend of mine is a wildlife biologist. I asked him about it a while back, and the short answer he gave me was that it was no worse than a human having a mole. The lake that we were at has very healthy populations of healthy trout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts