Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I've never fished smallies in April, and rarely fly fished in April, either, so I have no personal experience of fly-fishing for smallmouth in cold, pre-spawn water.

So, if those of you that do do it would care to share some info, I'd like to know which fly patterns, what sizes and colours, and which presentations might get me one of those big spring bass I've been hearing about.

Please and thank you,

chuck

·
Registered
806 Posts
chuck i've never done it either.if i were a betting man [which i'm not], then i'd go with a nymph.i'm thinkin' a dragon fly nymph. as you know nymphs can live for years under water. so i would summize that they are available in cold water. and since they're varocious predators themselves , i'm guessing that they're moving often. they're also a large nymph that is easily weighted for fishing the drop offs. if you're fishing streamers , i would suggest not weighting them and retreive them slowly. i have caught fish on top water in early may and in november as well. so don't rule out a top water dahlberg or mouse pattern.i'd be up for a trip through the week this spring if you are sometime.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chuck i've never done it either.if i were a betting man [which i'm not], then i'd go with a nymph.i'm thinkin' a dragon fly nymph. as you know nymphs can live for years under water. so i would summize that they are available in cold water. and since they're varocious predators themselves , i'm guessing that they're moving often. they're also a large nymph that is easily weighted for fishing the drop offs. if you're fishing streamers , i would suggest not weighting them and retreive them slowly. i have caught fish on top water in early may and in november as well. so don't rule out a top water dahlberg or mouse pattern.i'd be up for a trip through the week this spring if you are sometime.
Hi;

We seem to be thinking along the same lines, if only by intuition. And sure, I'd be glad to try out some ideas with you this spring. I'm retired so any time is fishing time with me, although I'm not up to much bushwacking any more, darn it. We'll have to figger somethin' out. I live in the Fall River area. Whereabouts are you?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
806 Posts
i don't bush wack anymore neither.i've got an aluminum bass boat decked front and rear.i live in kings county, on route 12.if you look on the map you'll see gasperau lake. look a bit further and you'll see a private road called ''butler road'' and a small lake called murphy lake. i live between that small lake and the butler road , but on the opposite side of the road than the lake.- the lakes that i fish are- gasperau, black[very rarely however], little river, aylesford, on rare occasion panuke, and when i can get on it , i fish murphy lake as much as possible!i'm not a wanderer , so i stick close to home. murphy , little river ,aylesford ,and gasperau lakes are all within 20 minutes from me , so that's where i mainly go. i can get to black river as well , but can't launch my boat there. i have done it with a small 10 footer before though.i say through the week because if my schedule stays the way it has for the past 3-4 years. i'm pretty much always off on wed. nights, so thursdays are great for me.i work most weekends, and what little time i do have off on weekends i generally spend with my wife.

·
Banned
767 Posts
i don't bush wack anymore neither.i've got an aluminum bass boat decked front and rear.i live in kings county, on route 12.if you look on the map you'll see gasperau lake. look a bit further and you'll see a private road called ''butler road'' and a small lake called murphy lake. i live between that small lake and the butler road , but on the opposite side of the road than the lake.- the lakes that i fish are- gasperau, black[very rarely however], little river, aylesford, on rare occasion panuke, and when i can get on it , i fish murphy lake as much as possible!i'm not a wanderer , so i stick close to home. murphy , little river ,aylesford ,and gasperau lakes are all within 20 minutes from me , so that's where i mainly go. i can get to black river as well , but can't launch my boat there. i have done it with a small 10 footer before though.i say through the week because if my schedule stays the way it has for the past 3-4 years. i'm pretty much always off on wed. nights, so thursdays are great for me.i work most weekends, and what little time i do have off on weekends i generally spend with my wife.
Hi j;

Thursdays sound lucky to me. I don't know Murphy Lake but I'm sure I can find it. If it stays frozen longer than some of the others, then Aylesford, [which got several votes for best valley lake]is a lake I've been itching to try. Or whatever you think best.

Surfing around, it kind of looks like leeches and stonefly or dragonfly nymphs might be our best bet. Too bad we're not getting any input from the experts, but then, maybe nobody else has fly-fished bass in April, either.

April is all about trout and landlocks, I suppose.

Anyhow, we'll consider it a plan to set some April Thursday of your choosing as a day for finding out if great big smallies really are hungry not long after ice out. Heck, just the thought is getting me excited!

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
806 Posts
sounds great to me.maybe i'll see ya at the meet and greet , and we can talk more about it.that way i can tie up some flies that we think may work pretty good.if i can remember to do it, i'll bring a map book and show you on it exactly where i'm talking about.later!j

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds great to me.maybe i'll see ya at the meet and greet , and we can talk more about it.that way i can tie up some flies that we think may work pretty good.if i can remember to do it, i'll bring a map book and show you on it exactly where i'm talking about.later!j
Hi;

Still don't know if I'll be able to make it to the M&G. Probably not. I'll let you know if I can get there, but only a day or two in advance.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
806 Posts
yeah i'm workin' that weekend. however my wife wants to learn to ice fish,and i figure that someone there might be able to show her how [since i can't seem to do it].she's looking forward to it,as well as i.i keep feeling as though we should talk about this in p.m.'s.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i'm workin' that weekend. however my wife wants to learn to ice fish,and i figure that someone there might be able to show her how [since i can't seem to do it].she's looking forward to it,as well as i.i keep feeling as though we should talk about this in p.m.'s.
Hi JS;

Sent you a PM with e-mail address.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't fly fish much early season for smallies but I do get some on rabbit strip leechs in pink and white when targeting pickeral.

Also in the valley but pretty much strickly fish from my yak or float tube now days.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
returned, thanks , lookin' forward to this!anything ''new'' is always exiting!
i'm confident that this can be done!
Yup!! Didn't get your message, so, in case I mis-typed my e-mail, I sent it again. And unless the lakes don't thaw 'til July, I know we'll put it together.

cheers,

chuck

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't fly fish much early season for smallies but I do get some on rabbit strip leechs in pink and white when targeting pickeral.

Also in the valley but pretty much strickly fish from my yak or float tube now days.
Hi;

Thanks for the input. Looks like nobody fly fishes bass pre-spawn. Red and white are always great colours, any lure, any time, anywhere, any fish--or so it seems. I must remember to take some red & white bunnies, if I have any. Only have pink marabou in salmon/steelhead flies.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi All
I don't target bass in April. Too good a month for big trout but I do catch a few while trout fishing. The bass are not very lively then and much more fun in June.
My best luck last year was on tube muddlers tied on copper tubes ( see flymart.ca ) of various lengths. Up to 2 in depending on the water - the higher and faster the bigger the tube.
It is well to remember not to cast them overhead. You could end up with Syds ailment so I just flick it out into the current. I use a floating line with a 3 meter leader. The combination of the floating line and the fast water will move the muddler pretty good. Copper is not near as dense as lead so the tube doesn't rest on the bottom as firmly as if it was lead.
Anyway keep putting out line and in a good spot pretty soon you'll have all the line out with the tube down near the end of the line. Give it a few jerks if it binds up will usually free it up.
Anyway when you are satisfied with the amount of line out, move the line out of the current - there is often a back eddy in spots like that. Slowly and I mean slowly wind the line back on the reel. Fish be they trout, bass, even salmon will be laying at the edge of the current and will be anxious for a meal.
Works for me.
Have a good spring
Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi All
I don't target bass in April. Too good a month for big trout but I do catch a few while trout fishing. The bass are not very lively then and much more fun in June.
My best luck last year was on tube muddlers tied on copper tubes ( see flymart.ca ) of various lengths. Up to 2 in depending on the water - the higher and faster the bigger the tube.
It is well to remember not to cast them overhead. You could end up with Syds ailment so I just flick it out into the current. I use a floating line with a 3 meter leader. The combination of the floating line and the fast water will move the muddler pretty good. Copper is not near as dense as lead so the tube doesn't rest on the bottom as firmly as if it was lead.
Anyway keep putting out line and in a good spot pretty soon you'll have all the line out with the tube down near the end of the line. Give it a few jerks if it binds up will usually free it up.
Anyway when you are satisfied with the amount of line out, move the line out of the current - there is often a back eddy in spots like that. Slowly and I mean slowly wind the line back on the reel. Fish be they trout, bass, even salmon will be laying at the edge of the current and will be anxious for a meal.
Works for me.
Have a good spring
Paul
Good to know, Paul.

Thanks,

chuck

·
Registered
806 Posts
sorry chuck , i've sent quite a few p.m.s to you , and e-mails as well, and i don't think anything is coming through.weird considering that i've been e-mailing some people back and forth all day. which brings me to this- it's probably a problem on my end. my computers been on the blitz all day. i called eastlink about it , they recognized a problem , but won't send anyone out until next thursday.hopefully i'll be able to continue getting on this site , but the way i've been loosing my ''favorites'' all day, i have my doubts.

·
Banned
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry chuck , i've sent quite a few p.m.s to you , and e-mails as well, and i don't think anything is coming through.weird considering that i've been e-mailing some people back and forth all day. which brings me to this- it's probably a problem on my end. my computers been on the blitz all day. i called eastlink about it , they recognized a problem , but won't send anyone out until next thursday.hopefully i'll be able to continue getting on this site , but the way i've been loosing my ''favorites'' all day, i have my doubts.
Hi js;

Not to worry, April is still a long way off. As expected, I won't be at the M&G on Sat., but once they get your net service fixed we'll get it together. I looked at a map so I know where you're located. If you're still going to the M&G I hope that you and your wife, and everyone , has a great time.

cheers,

chuck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts