Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Hey,

I find flyfishing to be very rewarding! Espically if you tie flies yourself...you will find it could be a natural progression to do so in the future. Some do, some do not. Being a hunter, I find it lends itself well to the accumulation of materials.

Simple dry flies work effectively. Caddis imatations work well, some swear by the 'elkhair caddis' flies and variants of the pattern. Adams, mayfly and bomber styles seem to be effective and widely known.

As well a popular style with advanced tiers seems to be in the Klinkhammer style of flies...these fly immitate the Emerger state of Entomology, likely found on your local lakes, etc. They are a dry fly, but some of the fly is actually under the water, supported by the 'parachute' tying style of wrapping the hackle horizontally above the hook shank, allowing part to float and part to submerge.

I tie a personal pattern that is simple yet extremely effective for all species I have ever thrown it at, here is the recipe:

Small dry fly hook sizing between 12 - 18 (hook)
Squirrel tail (tail)
Peacock herl (body)
White Rooster Hackle (hackle)

I find this fly catches stocked or natural fish of many species through out the year. It is an effective trout fly for sure.

Trav

·
Registered
46 Posts
Travis, I will be tying & trying this fly when I head to Quebec next week. I like the sound of it.....Thanks for the pattern!!

·
1,353 Posts
For stocked trout I like the "Purina Fly" Take dark brown chenille wind around hook in a oval shape. Tie off and dress with floatant. Just kidding!! Sort of.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
For stocked trout I like the "Purina Fly" Take dark brown chenille wind around hook in a oval shape. Tie off and dress with floatant. Just kidding!! Sort of.
Thought about that... I guess it's the dry fly variant of the "PowerBait Fly" where you take chartreuse, pink, or orange chenille and wind it in a oval shape on a weighted hook and suspend it below a bobber... er... strike indicator.

LOL,
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I sold flies professionally there was an ole timer that swore by the Parmachene Belle. I've had a lot of success with it also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pellet fly. Spun dark deerhair on a #14 hook. It worked wonders for my kids last weekend. It worked so well that I gave it to the little guy across from us flyfishing when we left. The poor little guy wasn't catching squat while we were there, so i handed it over to his dad when we left & got a very nice handshake & smile from Jr as we walked away. Just made my day. That, and was checked by DFO to boot!! Nice to see CO's out & about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL.. imitates the pellets stocked fish are fed at the hatchery. Works on the Grand.

Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great looking dog there Perry! Looks like a great fishing partner.

·
1,353 Posts
There is a great pic of him on the nsh site under the thread Meet and Greet photos cat. Others. He is a terrible fishing partner. When the fish jumps he feels the need to fetch it and if not allowed whines and whines!

·
Banned
585 Posts
'Purina Fly'...good one Perry. LOL

I finally got some nice short hackle, you'd be proud of the proportions of my fly now! Way improved over before.

Trav

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know much about fly fishing (gonna give it a go soon) but I would think that the trout would like colors found on some of my personal favorite spinners...ex: pink/silver, tiger fire, chartruse, etc....any thoughts on this idea?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts