Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been two other threads abt gulp but I specifically would like everyones imput on which you would chose for a soft plastic minnow

berkly pwr bait(yellow pk)or
berkly gulpor
berky gulp alive

and smelt vs black shad vs emerald shiner etc

I would set it up as a pole to vote but don't know how so any comments welcome

thanks GF

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have both the power bait and the alive products in smelt and night crawlers, as well as the alive in leech .

I have caught fish with both but find the alive works the best. The gulp liquid that the alive are saturated in really seems to produce more scent in the want resulting in more bites, I also find the liquid keeps the more more flexible which in turn gives it more movement when being fished.

The only issue I have with the gulp alive is the stupid bucket that it comes in. It leaks like crazy and the juice is pretty raunchy, I have had a messy tackle bag twice so far. I bought the soft plastic kit from Walmart though and now I am mess free.LOL

·
Banned
767 Posts
I have both the power bait and the alive products in smelt and night crawlers, as well as the alive in leech .

I have caught fish with both but find the alive works the best. The gulp liquid that the alive are saturated in really seems to produce more scent in the want resulting in more bites, I also find the liquid keeps the more more flexible which in turn gives it more movement when being fished.

The only issue I have with the gulp alive is the stupid bucket that it comes in. It leaks like crazy and the juice is pretty raunchy, I have had a messy tackle bag twice so far. I bought the soft plastic kit from Walmart though and now I am mess free.LOL
I'll second that, trouter.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll second that, trouter.

cheers,

chuck
I will 3rd it. The Alive Leaches are ridiculously awesome at nailing both pickerel and bass, and the stink is awesome as well. You absolutely need to buy the coffin thingy with the gasket to transfer your leeches etc into as the bucket they come in is totally useless. I think the bucket of leeches is about $20.00 and worth every penny.

James

·
Registered
328 Posts

plano has a new gulp alive container

·
Registered
433 Posts
Tip for gulp alive products.... first dont removed the seal instead cut a hole in the center.... thats gets rid of most leaks and plumbers tape around the thread will finish the job.

I use gulp alive products alot for trout but my favorite is Slimers... can't beat the action and they will absorb any scent u want even gulp alive liguid

·
Registered
546 Posts
Slimers? What is Slimers? Spastic Caster thinks he likes Slimers. Please tell Spastic Caster where he can gets them and how they taste.

James

·
Registered
433 Posts
I order slimers direct from the company.... slimers.ca ... they have everything from ice fishing baits right upto bass.... think I have 7 jars in my tackle bag.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I order slimers direct from the company.... slimers.ca ... they have everything from ice fishing baits right upto bass.... think I have 7 jars in my tackle bag.

do you order them with the "podgy"(herring secnt) or without I think I may try the leeches for trout they do have awesome action from the vids, hows the shipping and handling?

thanks GF

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will 3rd it. The Alive Leaches are ridiculously awesome at nailing both pickerel and bass, and the stink is awesome as well. You absolutely need to buy the coffin thingy with the gasket to transfer your leeches etc into as the bucket they come in is totally useless. I think the bucket of leeches is about $20.00 and worth every penny.

James
how do you rig your gulp leeches?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was wondering, if i took all my plastic lures and put them in this gulp alive soup 1. would it enhance their performance or 2. would it decrease the performance of the product. thanks

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

I hope that I'm not raining on anyone's parade, but a couple questions on "Slimers". They are said to be inorganic and will keep indefinitely. Does that mean that they are indigestible? I'd hate for a fish to get off with a 4,5,6 and even 9 inch piece of rubber stopping up its gut. It would starve to death, I believe.

Can anyone re-assure me that this is not a problem with "Slimers"?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi;

I hope that I'm not raining on anyone's parade, but a couple questions on "Slimers". They are said to be inorganic and will keep indefinitely. Does that mean that they are indigestible? I'd hate for a fish to get off with a 4,5,6 and even 9 inch piece of rubber stopping up its gut. It would starve to death, I believe.

Can anyone re-assure me that this is not a problem with "Slimers"?

cheers,

chuck
good ques there is a spot to contact and email them...I waas curious abt the same thing

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
worms work better than any scented and flavoured plastics for trout.
I am aware how well worms work, like trying diff things and making somwhat of a challenge which is also why I took up fly fishing but you are right worms are usually extremely effective

thanks for your reply

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

It is my understanding that Berkely Gulp is digestible, or at least organically decomposable, while most other soft plastics, possibly including "Slimers", are not. A few of the newer brands are actually nutritious!!

Research has shown that swallowed non-biodegradable soft baits [Senkos? Flukes?] do kill fish by plugging their digestive tracts. They are also responsible for most 'deep hooking'. Cutting off a deep hook that has a plastic bait still attached may be a death sentence. A slow death.

Here is a good 3 page article from "In-Fisherman" on the topic. Anyone who has any further info, please chime in.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/biodegradables-bass

Follow-up "Slimers" are biodegradable. See-

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1336451

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for that. I had similar questions about powerbait paste last year. GOOD INFO.

cHEERS,

jAMES

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi;

It is my understanding that Berkely Gulp is digestible, or at least organically decomposable, while most other soft plastics, possibly including "Slimers", are not. A few of the newer brands are actually nutritious!!

Research has shown that swallowed non-biodegradable soft baits [Senkos? Flukes?] do kill fish by plugging their digestive tracts. They are also responsible for most 'deep hooking'. Cutting off a deep hook that has a plastic bait still attached may be a death sentence. A slow death.

Here is a good 3 page article from "In-Fisherman" on the topic. Anyone who has any further info, please chime in.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/biodegradables-bass

Follow-up "Slimers" are biodegradable. See-

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1336451

cheers,

chuck
chuck got the Pm all taken care of thanks bud

and thanks for doing the leg work on the info abt the baits

GF

1 - 20 of 26 Posts