Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anybody had fishing info on these two lakes in dartmouth. Both are fairly close to where I live and would be easily accessible to me. Just wondering about different species and what they like if ya know. Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
if your looking to fish in Dartmouth area,winter or summer, OatHill, penhorn, Maynard and Albro are stocked in the spring and fall. We currently fish OatHill caught a few good size rainbows.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if your looking to fish in Dartmouth area,winter or summer, OatHill, penhorn, Maynard and Albro are stocked in the spring and fall. We currently fish OatHill caught a few good size rainbows.
I've fished Oathill, Penhorn and Albro with moderate success, just wondering about these others, but I didn't know Oathill was stocked and thats fairly close by too. No one can ever tell me that city living doesn't have fishing opportunities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too live right by Cranberry and asked the same questions lol.

if cranberry has any fish in it at all, im going to try it. although i didn't hear much about the other..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oathill used too be stocked every year. But last year the people that lived around the lake kicked up a stink about fishing and they decided not too stock it. But i do believe they had allready dumped 500 fish in it in early spring before the matter was braught up. But from April too Sept nothing was put in. Not sure if they did it for ice fishing or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bell Lake is full of yellow perch, mostly small 6 inchers but some are quite big-over 12 inches. My son and I fished the lake for many years as the quantity was great for a kid -we've caught up to 35 fish in an hour and a half in the evening. But you need lots of worms for those-they will rob you blind. Never had much luck on the fly with perch.I've fished it as recently as two years ago.

Funny, there is another lake, Settle Lake about 5 minute walk away, and no yellow perch in that-they are all white,plentiful but small.(Only yellow in Bell). The two lakes are not connected, but both connect back to Bisset and Morris Lakes I believe.

Cranberry Lake I fished about 15years ago-some small bass. I believe trout are occasionally taken from there ,which makes sense since it connects to Lake Loon which is stocked with trout..

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lake Loon was not stocked with Trout this year..Cranberry lake has become very weedy and tough to fish.. Lake loon is loaded with small stunted bass..and the odd trout ,, it used to be stocked very june for a derby put on by the Legion but it was not done in 2014,, hope they do it next year,, great spot for kids

·
Registered
11 Posts
I help out with the Branch 160 Legion fishing derby every year and this year the Frasers Mill Hatchery delivered the truck load of trout to Loon Lake on the 29th May 2014.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks Gerry.I did check on the saturday of the free fishing weekend and did not see the trouney going on.. i have taken kids out in my boat a few times for these and wanted to take my grandson this year. Also did not see anyone fishing there ,,usually loaded with fishers there right after they stock the lake..I hope they run it in 2015 )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, it was a bit windy but we had a good turn out later in the day. Great for the kids, the largest one I measured was 18 inches, I believe there was about a dozen or so caught by the kids, which our derby is in support of the Dartmouth Boys and Girls club.

Come out again, hope to see you in 2015

Gerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts