Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished for bass in about every possible condition in the state of Florida,Georgia and Alabama.
Now that I have returned to N.S. I'm sure that my tactics will have to change.
Not only the fact that I have no idea where to find them,but I find myself wondering when as well.
Are they post or pre spawn and when is the spawn??????????
Any ideas? Please HELP!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would think your tactics can remian the same for the most part, spawning is usually May or around there, weather dependant, I personally find it tough to catch fish at this time but I know alot of guys fish right thru the spawn with good success.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome back to Nova Scotia. I was born and raised here, and moved to Northern Ontario, where I lived for almost 10 years, and just moved back to Nova Scotia Myself about 2 years ago.

I have fished for bass since I was a kid.

Just so we are all on the same page, I'm talking small mouth. That is gonna be the majority of bass fishing here. We have nice striper fishing here as well in parts of the province, but I haven't done a lot of fishing for them.

I'd like to, I just don't get much time to travel during the summer/fall being busy with work.

I Only fished them a few times when they were running around here years ago. Some of the other members can fill ya in better on the striper scene.

For Smallies the spawn starts around mid to late may and into mid june. It can be quite a productive time as they are pretty aggressive ,and will smack any bait that comes near the reds.

Unlike Large mouths which I'm sure you are familiar with coming from florida, Small mouth don't relate to weeds as much as there cousins, and prefer rocky areas for structure. Rocky points, boulders, and even logs and stumps are all good places for smallies.

They will hang around weed edges, and a bit in lilly pads, but you won't be flippin' or pitchin' jigs in the slop mats here for smallies

They can be caught a number of ways, but my favorite is top water for sure.

Floating raps, prop baits ie: tiny torpedo, chug bugs, poppers etc. are all great baits

Soft plastics work well too. Twister tails, senko worms, gulp minnows or leeches etc. they will all get ya bit.

They are a lot of fun on the fly rod too if you into fly fishing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
pre spawn is my FAVORITE time of the year to fish bass.low 40 degree is tough , but doable!the buety of this time of year, is that you don't get [generally] anything under 14 inches long. usually it's a 17 inch or above. no black flies yet!i'll catch fish from the low 40's till fall when it reaches low 40's again. if you don't mind putting in a day to catch a lunker, then you're good to go. patience is the key. in the spring look for the first drop off , near the spawning beds. the fish will stack up like cord wood on the cover that's on this drop.just remember that not all fish spawn , and all the fish do not spawn at the same time in any givin body of water. so it's hard to be in a wrong spot. problem being that it takes patience, and confidence to fish as slow as it takes to catch fish in water that cold.others will undoubtedly tell you other ways to catch fish, listen to them , and find the way that works best for you!this is what works well for me, so that's what i do. for baits , i only tie on 2 baits this time of the year[40-48 degrees], bucktails in varying weights, with or without a pork trailer.and suspending jerkbaits, in a variety of depths , and brands. and trust me not all of them suspend as stated! anoying but true, and costly
.so this spring , just after ice out, large fish can be had, be patient, and have confidence. some days you'll be happy with a single fish,others , you'll go expecting a single fish ; but end up catching 5 or more!and my favorite part about cold water fishing-----i can sleep in, the best fishing is mid-day. P.S-don't forget your P.F.D., that water's COLD!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
my fave time to fish smallies is the last 2 weeks of july and the first 2 of august because of the warm weather. use the right gear, find some nice structure, work up a pattern and you'll nail em! good luck fishing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts