Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, nice to have the site back here.

Got a question, I got a buddy comin to visit in July from Newfoundland and wants to see some bass fishin done me since he never gets to do that over there, never even seen one. He's only around for a weekend in Cole Harbour. Where do you guys think would be the bast place to catch some from shore around there? Bein from Truro I don't do much fishin down there.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dave

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would try Morris lake and Oathill lake, both have a population of smallmouth as well as trout. Both of these lakes are about 5 minutes from Cole Harbour.

Tim

Hey guys, nice to have the site back here.

Got a question, I got a buddy comin to visit in July from Newfoundland and wants to see some bass fishin done me since he never gets to do that over there, never even seen one. He's only around for a weekend in Cole Harbour. Where do you guys think would be the bast place to catch some from shore around there? Bein from Truro I don't do much fishin down there.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested in this topic - my husband wants to get into fishing here but he is originally from urban Toronto and I haven't fished since I lived back out in Northern Manitoba a few years back. A client of mine said that there is some fun shore bass fishing to be had here in Nova Scotia (since we don't have a boat) and these lakes are happily close to us.

My question is - where around the lake can you fish from shore? I am not familiar with the lake's geography. Is it accessible by car or do you have to park somewhere and hike around to the good spots?

Also, what would you recommend for rod/reel, lure, and bait in these areas? I bought a small bass lure kit for my husband for Father's Day but we'd really like to start building a really solid fishing kit.

Thanks!

Melanie
Canadian Navy Wife

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am interested in this topic - my husband wants to get into fishing here but he is originally from urban Toronto and I haven't fished since I lived back out in Northern Manitoba a few years back. A client of mine said that there is some fun shore bass fishing to be had here in Nova Scotia (since we don't have a boat) and these lakes are happily close to us.

My question is - where around the lake can you fish from shore? I am not familiar with the lake's geography. Is it accessible by car or do you have to park somewhere and hike around to the good spots?

Also, what would you recommend for rod/reel, lure, and bait in these areas? I bought a small bass lure kit for my husband for Father's Day but we'd really like to start building a really solid fishing kit.

Thanks!

Melanie
Canadian Navy Wife
Howdy - there are tonns of bass in the lakes down here around the shore. Personally I find the best spot to find them are right around little drop offs. You can really go anywhere along the shores of the lakes and have a go at it. For bait/lures the bass seem to like almost anything. I usually use the plastic baits some 7'" power worms - or sometimes these bright green watermelon lizard type things. Im sure you guys will have lots of fun - enjoy

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks!

Melanie
Canadian Navy Wife
Hi Melanie Morris lake has a small park at one end off Caldwell road that has a big dock that can be fished off as well as with a little walking around the shore there is a bit of a path ( to the left of dock) just a little ruff , but get to spots that you can cast from.That's a starting point .Just have to look on google maps and find the lakes like Moriss and Bissett,or micmac lake with has a couple of parks and shore line that can be fish from.As for gear the kit should be find just see what works and get more of the same.Bait that floats as well as plastic that can be rigged weedless (point is tucked into the plastic so it does not get hooked on weeds and thinks) Good luck John

·
Registered
296 Posts
here is a short vid on how to bait weedless.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Melanie,

For bait, I'd say that in my opinion the best and easiest lure to start out with for bass and have very high chances is a Rapala Jointed #7 in Firetiger color. Or Perch color. or any other color if those aren't available. They're a little pricy but if you can keep it out of the trees and thick weeds you're all set. It floats so you don't worry about catchin logs underneath and its the easiest most straight forward to use lure I know of. Cast and retrieve, the lure does all the action itself. Bass love them.

After that if you wanna build up a tackle box aim for a few rapala lures of various types and colors, some plastics like Grasshopper said, some basic spinners, and of course the ever so useful Spinnerbait. I like the Strike King Mini ones. Find em at Canadian Tire or WalMart. They're smaller but just as good. They\re quite weedproof and bass go nuts for them. Good luck!!!

If you want any more info on lures for bass just ask! Good to see some more Canadian Forces members on here!

Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
My wife went to Fishing fever and asked for bait me as she had no idea on what to get,They asked here where I fished and what I fished for.They were more than happy to help, and I now have a new favorite bait. the Lunker Hunt Tubes are awsome baited weedless, caught 4 bass in a weed bed one right after the other!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great information! I checked out all the different types of rigs available - the kit I bought does have the power worms in it and a similar lure to the Rapala (but not quite because its not jointed, of course.) There's a spinner but it seems larger than the Strike King variation so maybe I will focus on something smaller.

We probably won't get out to any of the spots you all mentioned until after Fleet Review and my husband's shore posting. We're looking forward to it, though! You were all very helpful - when he comes home, he'll be thrilled to know we're just about ready to give bass fishing a go! (I am used to deeper water Walleye fishing.)

I have yet to acquire our rod and reels. What do you guys find works well or does it really come down to a personal preference?

Thanks again!!!

Melanie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Probably best to start with medium action gear(6'6" rod) and no more the 8lb test is necessary. As for lures for shore fishing at mic mac or banook, I'd recommend power grubs on a light jighead and original floating raps #7 perch color.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Melanie, I got this "inserting images" thing figured out so here are some pics of the Rapala Jointed I mentioned and the Mini King:

Good luck out there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts