Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 7 " bamboo fly rod, perfer it to be a 3-4 wt. 2 or 3 piece with case.
New perfered but used is fine as long as it is in good shape.
Any suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks

·
Banned
767 Posts
I can't recommend anything, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask why so many people still rate bamboo so highly? I saw an add for a bamboo rod that cost $3,000.00!!!

If anybody can explain this to me, I'd be grateful.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
195 Posts
What is your price range? There's so many options, but most are going to cost you. Try and find someone that does the Payne 101, it's a nice 7' 5wt. I'm hoping to have one built for next fishing season.

·
1,353 Posts
I have a 14 ft Hardy bamboo spey rod. It might make a trout rod if you cut a few inches off the tip! Just kidding!
I have a Orvis 8 ft for a six wt. but what it is worth and what the price would be is a different thing! lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robbie,
Is he the guy selling them on E-bay?
I would like to have one just for the eraly trout streams; I suppose I could build one.
I'm refinishing one now that I say had been hand made by someone 50-60 years ago; I think it is going to turn out nice.

Perry, i could buy your Hardy and make 2 rods, a short fly and one for trolling!!!LOL!! I'm sure I can't afford the 8" Orvis!
It's nice to be back on line!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Bamboo Rod Lovers
I meet a fellow on the Margaree a few years ago. Made Bamboo rods he said.Somewhere from New England.
When I asked him the price for the one he was using he laughed and said if you have to ask - you cann't afford it! I agreed.
Later he told me the price. The price CF quoted might get the butt piece!
In the old days straight bamboo poles were $0.25 each for the best in the bundle. They would give you the worst - That was at Clarks in Montague PEI.
They would catch fish though.
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
Paul, Clark's closed in the early 90's when Dad was posted there.I used to use my grandfather's old Lucky Strike 'boo over there. Shawn Pineo used to build bamboo here in NS, before he was posted to CFB Borden on ON, dunno if he still builds or not. He made a sweet rod,too!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paul, Clark's closed in the early 90's when Dad was posted there.I used to use my grandfather's old Lucky Strike 'boo over there. Shawn Pineo used to build bamboo here in NS, before he was posted to CFB Borden on ON, dunno if he still builds or not. He made a sweet rod,too!!
Jamie, good to hear from you and Thank You for the compliment! I heard thru my daughter (the techy)told me that my name was being thrown around on line and several people were trying to get a hold of me for rods so I figured I'd check it out.
Yes, I am finally back in Nova Scotia (hopefully for good this time)and am preparing to finish up three Payne 200Ls (8'0" 3 pcs/2 tip 4/5wt) rods that I had to put on hold due to moving and ongoing shoulder injury/surgery.
I hope to be back at the forms turning out new rods in the New Year.
So as to not violate forum rules, first day on, Bullet, or anyone else for that matter is intersted or has Bamboo rod related questions, feel free to drop me an email

>>>>>>>>>>> troutbum(AT SYMBOL)bellaliant.net

Cheers,

Shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts