Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just getting ready to head out fishing this weekend, and I was wondering what the regulations are for bag limits on invasive species of fish. Koi in particular, as i've seen them in Kearney lake. Is there a defines limit on them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not meaning to sound ignorant or anything dont take this the wrong way but read your hand book.. Everything you need to know is in there
I looked, but I didn't see anything in there.

They mention pickeral, and they mention ways to prevent the spread of invasive species, but there's no mention of bag limits on 'other' invasive species (aside from smalies, pickeral, perch, etc.)

If you've seen it in there please let me know where you found it. I went through all 30+ pages and didn't see it.

Oh, and I also didn't get a hand book when I bought my licence. The Canadian Tire on Dunbrack has been out of them for a long while now.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There is no limit on koi or guppies or any other fish that is considered invasive that is not regulated by the handbook. Unfortunately people keep releasing fish that should not be in the water. I do not think that koi would be a problem as they would be prey to all other species and they themselves predate primarily on algae but their carp cousins are another matter entirely. Most of the koi/carp that are found in our waters are released mostly by people from Asian countries who are Buddist. It is common for someone who is Buddist to buy fish or other animals on their birthday to release them into the wild but not lnowing the damage that results afterwards. We could go a long way by educating new arrivals about potential damage they could do by following this practice and instead encourage them to buy and release lobsters, crabs and other indiginous species instead. That being said, if koi taste anything like carp, they taste like muddy Kleenex and I would not be interested in consuming them.

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts