Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody is using or has used a St Croix 9 ft Reign series fly rod and are they any good ??

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I haven't used that rod, but, if it has the name St. Croix on it,then I believe that the quality is built right in. Just one man's opinion. Regards...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking at a St Croix reign series 9ft mod/fast action at the Fishinghole in Alberta . Cost is $134.95 +tax / shipping . Comes with a limited lifetime warranty . Don't sound like a bad deal .......

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am looking at a St Croix reign series 9ft mod/fast action at the Fishinghole in Alberta . Cost is $134.95 +tax / shipping . Comes with a limited lifetime warranty . Don't sound like a bad deal .......
a good freind of mine gave me a 9ft st croix fly rod and i absolutly love it great gear ! i think 134 is a steal for a st croix!! go for it man or im gonna pick it up lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there,
The Reign was the lower end of St Croix's line of rods (and has been discontinued this year - the Rio Santo is the new one for this level, I believe...).
You will find that the markings Mod/Fast for a St Croix mean actually quite moderate and less fast, but they are quite good rods, particularly for beginners or if you have a slow casting stroke. I would caution, as I did in another thread recently, that St. Croix's warranty is for failure of the rod due to manufacturers "error" - i.e if they determine the rod breaks due to their issue, not a user issue. I don't know if that's very important to you, but it is different from Beans or TFO offerings at a similar price point.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there,
The Reign was the lower end of St Croix's line of rods (and has been discontinued this year - the Rio Santo is the new one for this level, I believe...).
You will find that the markings Mod/Fast for a St Croix mean actually quite moderate and less fast, but they are quite good rods, particularly for beginners or if you have a slow casting stroke. I would caution, as I did in another thread recently, that St. Croix's warranty is for failure of the rod due to manufacturers "error" - i.e if they determine the rod breaks due to their issue, not a user issue. I don't know if that's very important to you, but it is different from Beans or TFO offerings at a similar price point.
Hope that helps,
Bill
Thanks Bill , I just broke my Mitchell rod that I was using for years .It was a Mitchell Dryfly 9 ft and was the best I have ever had . I'm definately not a beginner . I paid $89.00 for it years ago at CT, and simply loved it . It was a real fast action rod . Many a salmon, shad ,and trout was landed on that rod . I really don't like to buy a rod without feeling it in my hand .. I might just check the shops around locally so I can actually feel it in my hand .. ............Thanks for the info guys it really helps in making the right decision

·
Registered
32 Posts
I friend of mine has the reign in an 8 weight and ive used it for salmon a few times. i liked it. It was not the base model of rods at the time..that was the Premier, it was the next model up from that. I also own a Premier which i think i piad 100 bucks for. That is a great rod for the money.its certainly not a fast action, but was perfect for me when i was starting out. For 134 bucks you probably cant find a better rod. Just be aware of how much they charge you to ship it because it might not be such a good deal after that

·
Registered
124 Posts
I friend of mine has the reign in an 8 weight and ive used it for salmon a few times. i liked it. It was not the base model of rods at the time..that was the Premier, it was the next model up from that. I also own a Premier which i think i piad 100 bucks for. That is a great rod for the money.its certainly not a fast action, but was perfect for me when i was starting out. For 134 bucks you probably cant find a better rod. Just be aware of how much they charge you to ship it because it might not be such a good deal after that
I really want to feel the action of the rod So, I think the best thing for me to do is check the shops and give a few of them a good shake and check for the stifness . I did check one at the Wally world and it felt pretty darn good for a 100 bucks .It has all metal snake guides and metal tip . I wouldn't be long changing the guides .Atleast the tip for the time being ,I built 2 rods one time one for me and one for my buddy from start to finish ,,We sure got a lot of use out of them . They were Fenwick blanks and a slight bit heavy ,They were excellent rods for sure ,,,, Thanks for the info ........

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you were interested in trying out some St. Croix rods there is a small shop near Sherbrooke called River Majic. He has a selection of St. Croix rods there and puts in a couple of orders a year. He will order in what you want and I think he still sells for the US catalogue price. I have bought St. Croix stuff from him, he reasonable to deal with and has an excellent rod warranty arrangement usually a $20 same day replacement if he has one in stock.

http://www.rivermagic.ca/index.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you were interested in trying out some St. Croix rods there is a small shop near Sherbrooke called River Majic. He has a selection of St. Croix rods there and puts in a couple of orders a year. He will order in what you want and I think he still sells for the US catalogue price. I have bought St. Croix stuff from him, he reasonable to deal with and has an excellent rod warranty arrangement usually a $20 same day replacement if he has one in stock.

Rossco , Thank you very much for that info . I Know Bill Carpan very well . Haven't seen him since they closed the St Mary's summer fishing though .I had many a chat with Bill on numerous salmon pools . I didn't know he had a shop ,it's been a long time since I talked to him . You can bet there will be a road trip to see him coming soon . Thank you very much . " Excellent "

·
Registered
124 Posts

Rossco , I was down to see Bill on friday and found just what I was looking for.. He has it in stock St Croix Imperial .. Thanks again for Bill's link .........

model rod action peice line weight cost
I908.2 9' Fast 2 8 4.03 $ 190

1 - 11 of 11 Posts