Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever replaced a transom in an aluminum boat
my transom was rotten and i have removed it and i plan on putting a new one in
if anybody would be interested in putting a new one in for me i am willing to pay
thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Saw your picture, you have the hardest part done already

We did one many years ago and used a piece of hardwood plank but it was an open exposed transom. Others have used marine grade plywood layered together which is probably your best bet and easiest to work with since you are working on an aluminum boat.

Once you have the pieces cut to fit attach it all with stainless steel hardware and seal it back up, you should be alright after that.

Have fun.

·
Registered
296 Posts
only in a fiberglass boat myself...If you wanted a glass transom that could be done easily, guaranteed never to rust!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Has anybody ever replaced a transom in an aluminum boat
my transom was rotten and i have removed it and i plan on putting a new one in
if anybody would be interested in putting a new one in for me i am willing to pay
thanks
I have done this before!!! Use layers of MARINE grade plywood glued together to get the thickness you need. Once they are glued, use a well thinned-out mixture of resin to saturate, and seal-up the wood, (apply multiple coats) then install it!!! You should never have to do it again if you do it this way!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do i get marine grade plywood
would pentox work good for sealing it up?
so also there are bolts to go into the transom and whats the best way to seal those bolts
and I dont have a cap for the top and its a lowered transom so its not just straight across so im wondering how im going to do this do i rivit that or what
so if anybody is interested in doing it for me I WILL PAY!!!
i just bought a 50 year old house and that takes up alot of time and I would love to get this boat in the water this year
thanks for reading

·
Registered
296 Posts
Where do i get marine grade plywood
would pentox work good for sealing it up?
so also there are bolts to go into the transom and whats the best way to seal those bolts
and I dont have a cap for the top and its a lowered transom so its not just straight across so im wondering how im going to do this do i rivit that or what
so if anybody is interested in doing it for me I WILL PAY!!!
i just bought a 50 year old house and that takes up alot of time and I would love to get this boat in the water this year
thanks for reading
Pentox is no good for this application. IF you live near sackville I have some fiberglass resin and mekp (hardner) not the crap they sell at canadian tire.you can have it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pentox is no good for this application. IF you live near sackville I have some fiberglass resin and mekp (hardner) not the crap they sell at canadian tire.you can have it.
yeah i live in bedford
that sounds great

·
Registered
16 Posts
Luke, I've replaced a couple of the transoms on my boats over the years. I couldn't find marine grade plywood in my neck of the woods. So I used wolmanized plywood and used the waterproofing stuff that is similar to the stuff used in the wolmanizing plant. I made a cap out of galvanized roof flashing. The stainless hardware bolts etc I purchased at CTC.
I'd gladly do it for you unfortunately I live about a 120+ miles from your location.
Good Luck ...Liv

·
Registered
203 Posts
Whatever you do DON'T use pressure treated wood for the aluminum boat.
It will cause corrosion followed by little pin holes.(copper and aluminum dont' mix)
Marine grade(pricey)or regular plywood with some thompsons water sealant or fiberglass resin would be best.
Stainless fasteners and or aluminum rivets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whatever you do DON'T use pressure treated wood for the aluminum boat.
It will cause corrosion followed by little pin holes.(copper and aluminum dont' mix)
Marine grade(pricey)or regular plywood with some thompsons water sealant or fiberglass resin would be best.
Stainless fasteners and or aluminum rivets.
what about epoxy would that be anygood
would that be good over a water sealant

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know of people using epoxy for transoms.
Sandwich the epoxy between the plywood sheets to get your desired thickness,cut out your template(transom shape),epoxy it again or even twice more.It will be as strong or stronger then the original.Use stainless hardware and 3m 5200 is probably the best sealant(sticky and hard to remove if it gets anywhere it's not supposed to be),bonds great to aluminum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts