Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey guys I'm wondering if there is any fish species in Nova Scotia similar to "Sprat" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprat) that can be found in other countries.

They are basically small sardine type fish, and don't get bigger than 3- 4.5 inches (12 cm) at most. They're great for frying up, and you eat them bone in (gutted) since they are so small.

I've seen a few signs people have up selling smelts, but I'm worried they might be much larger than what I'm looking for.

If anyone is able to give me any info about this I would really appreciate it, thanks guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
No smelt are the only thing similar to that size. The larger smelt you see for sale are typically females, which range from 8-13 inches but the smaller males are like 4-7 inches. Best way to catch them is dip netting them in rivers as you can sort out the size. But if prefer to jig them as you’re allowed 60, with the dip net it’s only 30. You can fish them trough the ice can it can be hit or miss, but they run hard in most ocean going brooks various times throughout April-May

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the info CamoCam12. Got a chance to get my hands on some yesterday and I think they're exactly what I'm looking for. Just hoping the bones are soft enough to eat without removing them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.