Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to find out what the value of some bamboo rods and a reel i inherited might be.The reel is a 4" JW Young pridex with box and paperwork(doesn't appear to have been used)post war era.The rods are southbend,beaverkill,major rod co. of Canada all from the same era and in excellent shape.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I was given a Pridex recently too, no box or papers but the reel is in new condition, research showed they were a blue collar reel not highly sought after, any I found online auctions go for less than 40.00, but I suppose that could change anytime. I know nothing of rods, but there is another topic going now on bamboo.

Greg

·
1,353 Posts
The reel is a good one but as you said blue collar and not an expensive reel then and now. The rod is interesting. If you can post an image of the companys name and any writing on the rod it would give a better idea. I'm thinking Orvis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rods are all 3 pc bamboo;One is a southbend model 59- 9',one is a beaverkill 8.5' ,beaverkill is hand written in gold or yellow under the varnish,one says major rod co. of Canada and nothing else,and one has a decal that looks like it says champion.There is also one that looks hand made(no markings)thats missing the tip guide.There is an extra tip for the southbend.I never took picks of them yet,actually i rarely took them out of the cases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a little late coming to this thread, so my apologies. I know nothing about bamboo but the Pridex is a good reel. True, it is considered "blue collar" but no one disputes the quality of those post-war J. W. Young built reels. I've noticed an interest in larger reels lately with the rising popularity of of spey fishing in North America. If it is mint condition it is probably worth more than the standard war horses that we see most of the time. I would suggest that you visit the "Spey Pages" and make some inquiries. Pictures are a must and here is the link: http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/index.php
Good luck. -Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts