Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am a lifelong resident of Port Hawkesbury, I have been a site member since well before the site changeover and have read most(if not all) of the posts on here. I can't help but notice the lack of discussion on here of all the great fishing locations that are within 60-100km of me. I have only made one post on here because most of the discussions don't really apply. I mostly fish for trout in brooks/rivers, but also fish from shore in Antigonish County and the West Bay area of the Bras d'Or for rainbows and speckies(no big browns yet!) and inadvertently a few cod. Last fall I was introduced to some striped bass fishing locally and also mackerel are plenty here too. I am just curious why there are no threads on River Denys, Skye River(and many others here that run into the Bras d'Or), River Inhabitants, Grand River, Tracadie River and the list goes on. I know from experience that these areas are all frequented by locals and at least a few are members of the site. Maybe I am making a huge mistake here and giving away waaay too much information...on second thought...there are no fish here. Maybe that's why. Just curious if there were any others like me who fish these locations(and catch no fish).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey lee, I think the majority of the site is from the mainland. There use to be quite a few active capers, but I think they no longer frequent the site. There's still a few though. There use to be some threads on some of the places you mentioned back when this site first started. It's been a long time since I've been up to river inhabitants, I don't know what the river is like now. Never been to west bay, but heard a lot of good stories. West bay is a big area and I wouldn't have even know were to start, LOL. As for the Grand, well, the fishing isn't so grand anymore, for many reasons. I fished grand a fair bit when I was home in 2009, had the whole season off to fish, and I was very disappointed on how bad the brown fishery has gotten there, not to mention the salmon. A big differance from the last time I fished it before that, which was in 2006 before I moved to Alberta.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Lee,

I know this thread is a few years old but, having just found it, figured I'd drop my two cents worth on it. I've fished around Isle Madame, Black River and Dundee when I was young with my brother in law. Now, years later, my wife and I enjoy many spots around. We mainly target trout and perch. I'm looking to expand my area this summer if it can ever get here and the weather warm up. I have never fished in any of the local rivers you mention but I'd be willing to give it a shot at some point. Haven't fished the Bras D'or either but I'll drop a line in her some time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts