Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang.
Excuse me if something like this has already been posted. I looked but didn't find the info I was looking for. I have fished before but it was not around here and it was many many years ago. I know the basics but I just need some help. I'm living in clayton park and I'm looking for some lakes that are close by so that I can ride my bike (mountain bike so I can go on trails/ off road etc) and do some fishing. So basically;

1.) What are lakes/rivers that are close to Halifax/Dartmouth.....probably halifax side, with some good shore fishing. I'm thinking of trying long lake or bayers lake to start. If there's a trail I could hit I'd appreciate knowing how to find it.

2.) I have to pick up a new rod, and I'm thinking of something compact (either I can take it apart or it's telescopic). Any advice, brands etc would be helpful. Basically I don't want it hanging off my bike or getting caught on stuff.

3.) Any other tips or advice you may have. I don't really know how feasible this actually is but in my head I can't see why it wouldn't work. I'm looking forward to getting back and trying this.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
212 Posts
I actually work right next to Bayer's Lake and there is a new trail that runs from bayers lake to a few other Lakes that can be biked. Im not sure if there are any fish in Bayer Lake - but its a nice looking lake - give it a try and let us know if you catch anything. Follow the trail and you will also find a few other lakes to try - good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on
So I bought an inexpensive rod that can break down to two pieces. I almost got that one from canadian tire that breaks all the way down and goes into a little padded case because of how mobile it would be and I saw good reviews online. While the rod is broken down it just barely sticks out the top of my bag and I think I'm going to try to rig a piece of pvc pipe or something just so it doesn't get banged around. I have a bit of tackle (the essentials) and plan on building it as I go.

Grasshopper where is the start of the trail? From looking at google maps it seems like I can follow the railroad tracks (?) to get to the other side of the lake. Would I just keep following that? thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops, if I had kept driving the way I was planning on going I would have gotten to the chain lakes. bad right? There's a Halifax Water Commission ban there, is there not?

BUT if I go back the other way (on the other side of horseshoe lake dr) there's Lovett Lake, Governor lake, and black duck ponds.

Might give em a go

·
Registered
212 Posts
mattsubishi: Yep those tracks have been taken out and its now all gravel - the path starts down around bayers lake and if you head towards Timberlea there are a few other ponds and lake along the way. I think the trail links up with the BLT trail in Timberlea which goes for miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I hit bayers lake today. The rail trail is very loose, large gravel and in some parts extremely hard to bike over (I had to get off and walk the bike a bit but I don't have a lot of faith in my new-used bike's tires). I didn't have much luck at bayers but I think there were some hits. Again I'm just getting back into it so I can't be regarded as a credible source.

Went back the other way and tried to find a way into lovett lake or the one on the other side of the rails. Went the Lovett way because it seemed easier for the bike but couldn't find a way to the water. Kept going into the BLT trail and found a bank into Governors lake. I loved the trail and I found a nice secluded spot. Really enjoyed the whole process I guess, trying to find a nice spot, settling in, casting for a bit......this is what I was looking for!

Made my way back to St Margeret's bay road and decided to try Long Lake. I have no idea how I grew up in Cole Harbour and spent most of my life living in HRM and did not know about this place. I absolutely love how close it is to the city but how rough it is, if you take my meaning. I spent some time on the beach (a large rocky area anyways) and around where a couple streams feed into the lake. Didn't get a lot of love but didn't really expect to. (mid-late afternoon and realistically I'm learning)

Anyways I had some fun and if anyone knows any other trails that are clayton park accessible, please let me know.

Also some ideas of time of day/ what types of lures/ bait should I use in a lake setting would be appreciated.
Thanks

(PS I'm going down pubnico way for the weekend. Any good lakes or spots?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts