Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
It looks like in the US they get to keep tuna they caught. What a shame there in N.S. you can't keep them but every one around us ( the us and all the countries that fish off our shores )gets to strip the resource.

·
Banned
613 Posts
It looks like in the US they get to keep tuna they caught. What a shame there in N.S. you can't keep them but every one around us ( the us and all the countries that fish off our shores )gets to strip the resource.
The USA has had a vibrant, healthy, and well managed sport tuna fishery for years now. http://www.theabta.c...creational.html

Why our Government feels it won't work here is beyond me????????????????

Here is some info on the daily limits for BFT in the USA:

2011 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention LimitsThe current recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling (private recreational) vessels and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (fishing recreationally) is one school, large school, or small medium BFT (measuring 27 to less than 73 inches) per vessel per day/trip. In addition to the daily retention limit vessels are allowed 1 trophy BFT, measure 73" or greater/vessel/year. These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp#news284

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have not lived here long but it does seem to me the reason the government will not let it work here is the commercial fishermen "help!!!!
" the politicians and the politicians make the rules to help
the commercial fishermen.
Not only with tuna but swordfish halibut crabs and lobster and when the recreational angler can and cannot fish OUR seas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts