Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several people in Ontario suggest that salt water and aluminum boats do not mix. While in Nova Scotia I noticed a majority of flounder fishermen in alumium boats. Is there a problem? Can I dock my 22 foot aluminum boat in salt water for the summer season or should I trailer it and rinse after every use? I have the same questions about my 175 hp outboard motor. The unit is 25 years old but in mint condition. I would consider a new ETECH which is supposed to do well in salt, if it were necessary.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had a /85 Grumman that I used 75% of the time in the salt till I sold it in /01 the motor was a same year 60hp evinrude, both performed flawlessly over the years, it was trailered washed and flushed after every use though, I had fiberglass before that, no amount of care stopped it from fading and it started to delaminate. Marine growth is another problem with mooring, pulling it regularly and washing the hull would take care of that, or antifouling paint, I'm not a fan of it myself. And seagulls love moored boats, that gives you a whole nother mess to clean. So I'm a fan of trailered aluminium from personal experience.

Greg

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've never had any trouble with it, I'd say it would be fine to have it moored until the end of the season and then when you take it out you should rinse it.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I've had several people in Ontario suggest that salt water and aluminum boats do not mix. While in Nova Scotia I noticed a majority of flounder fishermen in alumium boats. Is there a problem? Can I dock my 22 foot aluminum boat in salt water for the summer season or should I trailer it and rinse after every use? I have the same questions about my 175 hp outboard motor. The unit is 25 years old but in mint condition. I would consider a new ETECH which is supposed to do well in salt, if it were necessary.
Aluminium boats work well in the ocean, but need some extra maintenance because of the exposure to the harsh marine environment. First, if you are going to keep the boat in the water for the season, I would install a pair of zincs on the hull to deter corrosion. Second, you should use a high quality antifouling paint on the bottom of the hull. DO NOT USE A BOTTOM PAINT CONTAINING COPPER!!!!!

I owned a 22ft aluminium boat when I lived out West, and it worked GREAT. I did have some minor problems with electrolysis, but for the most part, I was very happy with the boat!! I did not keep the boat in the water, I kept it on a trailer, and towed it to the many launching facilities in the harbors out West. I sold the boat when I moved back to NS 8 years ago.

CLICK HERE to see some pics of the boat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There's acouple 45'lobster rigs(aluminum)down here,that have been going for 20+ years.
Salt year around,,,big plus on the zincs anodes.
There all welded and no paint.
Some people say all welded are fine but if it's rivited...sometimes the rivits will give you trouble.
Theres sites on the web that are aluminum only salt water boats,mostly west coast but it's done all the time.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi OF, Your friends are misinformed. You will do just fine in the salt. Make sure you have a sacrificial anode (zinc)on your hull and your engine. Whether you trailer after each outing is your choice. Make sure you rinse with fresh after removal from the salt. Regards........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about carpeting? The boat I have now is fully carpeted in dark blue. If I rinse with freshwater after each use will that counteract the effects of salt water splashing in?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You can rinse with fresh if you want. I really don't think salt water degrades your carpet (but it might affect carpet glue and any fastners unless they are good quality stainless steel). When the ocean water evaporates it will leave a surface deposit of salts and minerals, however. The sun's rays,(UVA,UVB) will probably discolor (fade) your dark blue carpet more than the salt. Most of the guys in Ontario who are giving you advice about boating on the Atlantic have probably never even seen it, let alone had experience on it.

Regards.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shimanoman: I think you are right about the Ontario guy's lack of experience on the ocean. But you know how it goes, like Red Green would say, the three words men cannot say are, "I don't know."

We are wintering in Florida with our boat after Christmas and hoping to make our second trip to NS this summer. The first visit to NS was sigh seeing, the next one is for fishing.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts