Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide a recommendation for a decent rod travel case? It should be able to carry three spinning rods and tough enough to endure developed and developing airports.

Thanks,

J

·
Banned
613 Posts
Can anyone provide a recommendation for a decent rod travel case? It should be able to carry three spinning rods and tough enough to endure developed and developing airports.

Thanks,

J
The only time in my life I traveled with my fishing rods, the air lines LOST my rod tube!!!!!! They did eventually find them, and had them delivered to my door, but the tube was beat up and broken!!!! Fortunately, none of the rods were dammaged!!!!

Anyhow, I will never travel with my rods again, as some of the rods I have can not be replaced, and have extreem sentimental value with the memories of all the fish I have caught on them!!!

·
1,353 Posts
I have a couple of Plano adjustable rod tubes. They will hold 1 piece spinning and baitcasters. They are bulletproof and airlines accept them. If you want one I dont use them anymore as I am sold on 4 piece rods that pack in my cked bags. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always travel with concern, especially with the ever-changing airline regulations. I met up with an angler on the leg from Halifax to Deer Lake who lost all of his luggage (including camera equipment, rods, reels, and waders). He was due to travel the next day to the south coast. short story was that he got nowhere due to weather...and travelled back to US without wetting a line.

I'm with Perry on this one...4 pc rods that can pack into luggage. I also carry a Sage brand double rod/reel combo carrier (4 pc). The airline lets me carry that on with the reels and lines! Go figure...

I see the Plano adjustable carriers (for gear-rods) during travel to Newfoundland/Labrador often, so I think they must be well respected luggage?

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
JHG, Shimano has the Exage series of quality telescopic rods which all come with their own case. The security folks at the airport allow you to take them onboard as "carry on". If you keep your rods and reels in your carryons and your hooks and lures in your checked bag, you will always have a good trip and the worst that can happen is you lose some hooks. I have been using these rods for 6 years now and am very pleased with them. I am well aware that, in some 3rd world countries, a long rod tube might as well have a large "Steal Me" sign attached. If you are careful you can usually fit 3 of these rods into one carry tube/case. They are approx 27" x 3" with a nylon cover,carrying handle and "D" rings to fasten to your backpack. I can vouch for their medium action 7' rod. I once landed a 38lb snook on 8lb line with one. Regards.....

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
JHG, Shimano has the Exage series of quality telescopic rods which all come with their own case. The security folks at the airport allow you to take them onboard as "carry on". If you keep your rods and reels in your carryons and your hooks and lures in your checked bag, you will always have a good trip and the worst that can happen is you lose some hooks. I have been using these rods for 6 years now and am very pleased with them. I am well aware that, in some 3rd world countries, a long rod tube might as well have a large "Steal Me" sign attached. If you are careful you can usually fit 3 of these rods into one carry tube/case. They are approx 27" x 3" with a nylon cover,carrying handle and "D" rings to fasten to your backpack. I can vouch for their medium action 7' rod. I once landed a 38lb snook on 8lb line with one. Regards.....
I can vouch for the Shimano Exage, which fits diagonally inside a 20" carry-on. I also have a couple of multi-piece fly rods that fit in my carry-on.

Be careful with flies and hooks. I've carried small hooks on to planes before without issue but recently got stopped in Halifax and had to check my bag. Interestingly enough, it wasn't the flies that prompted the initial search; rather, a hemostat that I use for extracting hooks. As it turned out, CATSA was fine with the hemostat because it was blunt, but soon discovered the flies and asked me to check the bag.

I'm not exactly sure how I could terrorize an airplane with a size 12 hare's-ear nymph. Maybe if the flight attendants were all allergic to fur, they would become incapacitated if I approached them with the fly. The co-pilot would then exit the cockpit to check on the flight crew. Upon learning how they became incapacitated, he would call the pilot and they would both die laughing. I could then seize control of the plane and fly to Labrador or New Zealand or some place to go fly fishing.

Sound crazy? Perhaps, but I can remember how they used to ban nail clippers. I guess that some beautician once threatened to give everybody a bad manicure or something...

Tight lines,
Paul

Reactions: pmorris

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Shimanoman. I already have three of those rods (1 light & 2 med action) and you're right in that they're quite good. Happy to hear that the planes allow them to be taken as carry-on as I'm taking those along with me too. I was wondering what the D ring was for. D-oh! I've caught Shad on the light action rod this year and it was a great time!

The main reason why I'm looking for the rod case/bag is that I'm looking to pick-up 3-4 2-piece rods/reels. My family is finally moving to Ghana (West Africa) in a few months and I'd like to introduce a few locals I know to sportfishing. They can't afford rod/reel, tackle, etc. and buying it there isn't possible. I figure that if I can find a few rod/reel combos that won't break on the first cast
then I can infect our disease on more people until the entire planet is infected with this great past-time.
On that note, if anyone has any used rods/reels that they want to sell let me know. Nothing fancy, mainly looking for medium action rods and spinning reels. Just something that will get the job done and are easy to maintain. I think I'll post this part in the classifieds.

J

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a follow-up since we're leaving soon. Has anyone carried a bag as a carry-on that included tackle on an international flight? I have a knapsack that I carry a few trays of tackle in and was wondering if the airlines would allow me to walk on with that. It would include hooks, lures, grubs, a few reels, line, etc. but nothing obvious like a knife.

I want to make sure it's permissable before they force me to check it.

Shimanoman,
When you took the Exage rods onboard was it on an international or domestic flight? I'll be carrying a Swiss notebook roller bag onboard with my laptop and some PC gear and was hoping to take two of the rods on with me as well. The trick is to not look weighted down with carry-on luggage.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just a follow-up since we're leaving soon. Has anyone carried a bag as a carry-on that included tackle on an international flight? I have a knapsack that I carry a few trays of tackle in and was wondering if the airlines would allow me to walk on with that. It would include hooks, lures, grubs, a few reels, line, etc. but nothing obvious like a knife.

Shimanoman,
When you took the Exage rods onboard was it on an international or domestic flight? I'll be carrying a Swiss notebook roller bag onboard with my laptop and some PC gear and was hoping to take two of the rods on with me as well. The trick is to not look weighted down with carry-on luggage.
Incase you don't get a reply before you leave.. I would leave room in your checked luggage to shove the tackle in.. then ask when you get there and if you need to, put it in the checked luggage

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts

Shimanoman,
No problem with taking rods inside my carry-on bag on an international flight, but I did have the issue with hooks I described in my post earlier in this thread.

Have a great and safe trip,
Paul

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
JHG - Both Domestic and International. Best advice I can give you is never, never, never take any hooks, lures with hooks, pliers, haemostats or other lip grip tools with you as carry on stash these in your checked luggage. (The logic as to how to hijack an arucraft with a #11 Rapala or a pair of pliers is lost on me but you will get grief and lose them if you try.) Security gives you no problem with the "rods or reels as carry on". If you are going to a third world country, rod cases in checked luggage just scream "steal me". Good luck. Regards......

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. I'd be a very unhappy camper if I had the rods stolen from my suitcases. Okay, I'm going to try and secure the rod cases to my roller case somehow and I'll check all tackle.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Jay,- NO,NO,NO, You misunderstood me. Keep all your Exage rods and your reels with you as carry-on. Security will let u do this. Check all of your lures,tools etc. If you have a backpack,you can attach the rod cases to it. I think I have a couple of spare Exage cases laying around that I can give you. Regards.......

·
1,353 Posts
I have had grief with check in with rods but that was solved for me when I changed to all four piece rods and I place them out of sight in a duffel bag. All my fishing equipment goes in my ck. in baggage. My carry on is clothes, etc. no fishing stuff. I dont know if it is a Air Canada problem but all my check in problems have stopped when I stopped travelling AC. **** happens to all carriers but AC provided me the worst service when it did. West Jet excellent. I travelled Porter Air last trip and it was impressed with their service. No problems but I suspect if it did it would be taken care of to my satisfaction.
JHD, do you still want the rod tube?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Perry, I could still use the tube. I'm hoping to get a few extra rods for others that I can put in that. If something happens enroute, I'll claim the gear with the airlines and have something shipped from Halifax.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jay,- NO,NO,NO, You misunderstood me. Keep all your Exage rods and your reels with you as carry-on. Security will let u do this. Check all of your lures,tools etc. If you have a backpack,you can attach the rod cases to it. I think I have a couple of spare Exage cases laying around that I can give you. Regards.......
I got ya the first time. lol. Just saying that had I checked the cases in my suitcases and if they went missing I'd be a very sad and unhappy camper.
I have a Swiss Roller Notebook case (carry-on) and I'm going to try and rig my 3 Exage Cases/rods to that somehow. I'll check all tackle for sure as you said. Can't buy any sportfishing gear in Ghana. I'm off today relaxing at home going through gear and paperwork. LOL.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If your rods are 2-piece rods, you can use an inexpensive plastic gun case. I use a Plano gun case when I travel to Ontario for my annual fishing trip. It's cheap (I paid around $30), the case is very sturdy, the inside is lined with thick foams, and I can fit in at least six rods with some room to spare. Tube types are usually a lot more expensive and can't handle as many rods.

This is what I use: Plano Gun Case

Obviously, it's no good if you have one-piece rods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use an Orvis safe passage carry it all bag, the bag is within the carry on size limits for overhead compartments and will carry 4-4 piece 9 foot rods, 4 reels and still has room for other essential fishng items. I have travelled with my gear as carry on domestically and internationally and never had a problem. I print a copy of the regulations from the CATSA and TSA sites and put them in my carry on just in case but have never had to pull them out. I have heard of instances where other anglers coming home from the Bahamas have had to take the line from the reels, but I've never even been so much as questioned. I usually split my flyboxes up into my checked bags, in case one doesn't show. If I wasn't able to carry on my fly gear I would likely ship it before I would check it in, I just don't trust airlines enough.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Golfisher,
I'd be hesistant to use a gun case only because of a few of the areas I'll be travelling through. Don't want to draw attention and get shot.

pgBilly,
I visisted the Orvis site and saw a very nice Safe Passage Duffle Bag that looked it would meet all of my needs. Only issue is that I have a big Swiss Gear Laptop Rollercase and there's no way I could get both onboard as carry-on. Pre-9/11 sure, now... no chance!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts