Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened my inbox this morning and Air Canada has a Flight Sale. Ok lets see what a few fishing destinations would cost.......Dallas $201 Nassau $306 Wow! I wonder what a short flight to Goose Bay would be,,,,,,,$556!!!!! I can go to Lima Peru cheaper!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ever been to the Charlottes, Perry? My dream in life is to return some day and fish in some of my old haunts. Nowhere near where the Outfitters that exist out there would be located. Most spots would be up beyond Justcatlia (SP) in the mountains and then down to Massett inlet, at the top end of it through the Mac and Blon roads.
Now that is a fishing destination that anyone that is truly into fishing should try, at least once in their lifetime. It makes Goose Bay look unattractive in comparison.
Steelhead, 20 Lbs, All 5 species of Pacific Salmon run up two of the rivers, Halibut 200 lbs we caught, Dolly and Cutthroat Trout, 5 lb sea runs were common.
I believe Air Canada is the only major carrier into Sandpit, although float planes from Prince Rupert to Massett fly in.

·
1,353 Posts
Guest I have and you are right! You can fly to BC cheaper than Goose Bay! After a lifetime of fishing I have idenified my favourite fish, I love brook trout fishing maybe it is because that is where I started. They can be very easy to catch and at times not a challange and at other times........! Atlantic Salmon sometimes they seem impossible to bring to a fly then other times the reward comes fairly easy. Jumps are always spectular and to land one is very rewarding. Bonefish, the most challangeing fish I have ever fished. Never easy and to feel the power and speed of their runs leaves you in awe of this fish, Two out of three are in Labrador!

902 taxes in.

Reactions: LSF

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes Perry we are on the same page regarding Brookies, my all time favorite fish. However on the other two. LOL No so.
A 20 Lb Steelhead, wild and fresh from the pacific in a small shallow river is quite spectacular. Although I have never fished Atlantics, I have been with friends that have. IMHO the Steelhead of the costal west cost islands put on a bigger show. My opinion only however. No matter everyone has their own little things that they enjoy about fishing.
Did you try Steelheading out there, most of the outfitters are coastal and do not get into the rivers for steelhead, at least when I lived there?

·
1,353 Posts
The only wild steelhead I have caught were in Oregon on the Sandy River. I didn't catch enought to compare to Atlantics but yes an excellent fight but...... atlantics my choice! There are differences in the fight of fish of any species so I guess I go with what I know best.

The Atlantic Salmon that ran the rivers in NS May and June is the best fighting salmon ever and the summer fall run would not be the standard I would compare steelhead to atlantics!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would be more then happy to guide you ...out on the Charlottes. LOL

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK when?? Best time etc.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, should you ever really go out there, Steelhead is a wintery fisheries. Therefore anytime starting late fall thru the winter in the upper two rivers (which will remain unnamed) is fantastic. We actually caught few right in the mouths of a none popular river while Trout fishing in early fall. They are in all the rivers on the island, just winter is best for fishing. Salmon in the rivers, Pinks start in early/mid summer, you almost could walk across the runs they were that thick, Coho and Springs start later in the summer thru the fall. Seas Run Cutthroat/Dolly, anytime, but certainly when the Salmon are spawning is best. Halibut, May thru early fall. Hit them right and it is a blast.
On top of this Clamming is popular, with more then one type of clam easy to get. Dip netting Dunganeous Crabs on North Beach is popular all summer long, but July/Aug was best. As well Deer season is 9 months long, which overlaps most fisheries out there. I would go Steelheading and take my gun, hunt deer in the morning, nothing to see over 100 deer daily, fishing the afternoon. DNR is very small on the island, was stopped only once while living there, had my gun, deer in back of truck, the only thing that the CO cared about was that I had my Steelhead tags. It is very protected out there. Never did ask about my deer license, the Deer are over populated. It is quite the place. Not sure if all these season timing still remain, but I am sure that it is still very similar.

I guess this has nothing to do with Air Canada seat sales. LOL

·
Banned
135 Posts
Steelhead are fun and all but in my opinion a fresh 20+lb steely doesnt even equal a fresh 10-12lb atlantic. I was honestly quite disappointed. Beautiful country with gorgeous water but the fishing doesnt compare.
I mainly fished the kallum and a few smaller rivers up north and hit pretty close to all the rivers on the island.
And if you want giant brookies check out fortress lake by jasper. The size and numbers in there are insane

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am talking about the QCI SS not Vancouver island. When I lived there I believe the total Island Population was less then 2000 people, that is what I recall being told. I can tell you that you could drive from Massett to QCI city and never meet another car. It was isolated and very very wild. I bet if you talked to a die hard steelheader he would argue the opposite regarding the king of fish. Got to love Fisherman, they all have their own passions regarding fishing.

Back to AC discounts. LOL Sorry for the hijack. LOL

·
Banned
135 Posts
I am talking about the QCI SS not Vancouver island. Now if you talked to a die hard steelheader he would argue the opposite. Got to love Fisherman, they all have their own passions regarding fishing.
ya its all personal opinion forsure. Im just glad I got to experience it out there for 6 years. Was great. Bc and alberta both do a much better management job then we have here. The trout fishing isnt even close to as good here. No trophy water here or regulations that might produce trophies.

o and perry the only way id fly air canada is if it was free. Worst airline hands down in this country lol

·
1,353 Posts
You are right I flew Halifax to Newark to Las Vegas to Dallas to Fort Lauderdale to Treasure Cay for Approx $600 then came back for $425 all the way United! Not a perfect trip but close to alright which means I got where I wanted to and lived to tell it!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ya, I am looking at flights from Wabush to Moncton for next week and it's just stupid the prices($927 one way) with stops in Goose Bay and Halifax. Good thing the I'm not paying LOL! Brook Trout and Ouananiche are a toss up for me, I like both equally!

·
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Comeing down south to be warm!!!! Forget that! BTW flies arrived yesterday many thanks!

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
It's a little-known fact that Air Canada's aircraft call signs all start with the letter "C" for customer and the last four letters reflect their intentions with respect to the level of service...

image.jpg
upload image

1 - 20 of 35 Posts