Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard lots of stories of people catching small pike or pickerel only to seem them attacked by larger pike as they bring them in. I've even seen it happen myself. I've only recently moved to nova scotia and started to fish for brook trout. I had no idea that they would also attack smaller fish while they are being brought in.

While I was fishing a small stream a larger brook trout attacked two fish in a row I was bringing in. I quickly gave up on dry flies and tried a few different streamers, with no luck. At least I had a friend around to take some pics. They are a bit blurry since the light wasn't great but I thought I would share anyways.

·
1,353 Posts
What a great sequences of images!! I have had that happen different times but usually in Labrador but not in NS. Good one!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did it actually strike the smaller fish? Just a thought but maybe the bigger trout was chasing to see what the little fella was eating? I've seen bass do that...

Looks like a great place to fish brookies regardless, cool pics!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A friend of mine caught a brookie a couple weeks ago that had a mouse in him, this is not uncommon for labrador or for even big fish but the CB tout was only 10.25" long!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the bigger fish was around 11'' maybe 12'' and he definitely struck the smaller fish. The first time he came in to see what was going on and looked really interested but did nothing. The second time he grabbed my catch and tried to run into deeper water with it. I probably had him "on the line" for 2 or 3 seconds.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have very rarely had larger trout hit smaller ones, it might have something to do with territory as they get closer to spawning, or it might just have been an opportunity for an easy meal. Try one of these next time. It is a good spring fly as well when big trout are hungry and cruising.

Little Brook Trout

Send me one would ya!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nice pics you got there.

A buddy of mine had the same thing happen a few years back while we were fishing in Ontario.

He caught a small brookie in a stream and out from the under cut bank this big shadowy thing grabbed his fish. He brought the little one in and threw his gold spinner and minnow across the stream, and brought it back across, the fish came out again and nailed it...it was about a 16''brook trout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i had this happen with pickerel before, but i never heard of brookies doing this. very cool

G

·
I was fishing a back woods lake last year and I caught a speckle that was about 10 inches with another speckle around 3-4 inches in it's mouth. When I saw this pic it reminded me of it. It's amazing you got such a great picture!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts