Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie to fishing...haven't gone since my grandfather brought be as a young child. My 3 year old daughter has started mentioning to me that she wants to go fishing, so I'm going to get a licence so we can go together.

Now onto the questions...
Other than a licence, what kind of gear would I need? Would a kid's rod (ie: https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3865705&enlargeSkuz=25821) be worth getting? Where's a good place to go fishing that wouldn't require a boat (I live in Dartmouth but don't mind travelling a bit)? Have you ever tried a u-fish? Is there a particular one that you'd recommend? Do you have to bring your own gear or licence to a u-fish? When (month, season and/or time of day) is ideal to go fishing? Can freshwater fishing be done anytime the water's free of ice?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure what to tell you on the gear thing other than get somthing that's usable now and she can grow with,like a closed face real with a push button is pretty simple to operate.I myself am no pro by no means I just know the basics and what I like.Now you live in "The City of Lakes"so there is no real reason to travel too far,Start at Albro lake it has bass and stock trout in it and is easily accessable as are many other lakes in Dartmouth.I have been to one U-fish and this one has gear on site,I think personally if you were to go this route first to see how she likes it othere than wasting money to find out she doesnt.Another suggestion I will make is go to Fishing Fever in halifax and the owner and staff there are ultimate pro's and they will help you out immensely with gear and liscences.Hope that helped a bit,its too early so I'm just likely rambling

Fundy Shore &
Annapolis Valley
Gary and Shelley Kelly
Lockhartville, Kings County
Telephone: 902-684-9306
Rainbow and speckled trout
Michael Cameron U-Fish

Truro
Telephone: 902-897-4922
Rainbow and speckled trout

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you take a young child fishing (a) take them to a place where they are going to catch lots of fish. It doesn't matter what kind of fish. Young attention spans are very short. Patience can be learned much later.(
If you do NOT take your own rod and reel and only take one for the little child, you will be 100% occupied with what the child is actually doing, be it throwing rocks, looking at clouds, chasing grass hoppers, or actually fishing. You become the untier of knots, untangler of tangles. YOU can now concentrate (no distractions like your own fishing) completely on whatever the child needs/wants you to do. This is such an unusual event in a child's life that, in later life you will be rewarded with the recital of the events preceeded with "Daddy, remember when..." My experience has been that the most vivid memories of my oldest boys seem to be anchored on those fishing trips in the canoe when I DIDN'T take my personal tackle and both of the kids totally "owned" me for the duration of the trip. If you buy a copy of Fishing For Dummies (about $15),a lot of your questions will be answered. It's a goldmine of info. Hope this helps in some small way. Regards....

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
I would agree with that comment as well. I have taken my own 3 year old fishing and left my gear at home because i knew that 15 minutes or less into the excursion of being on the river we would spend the remainder of the time chucking rocks.. which we did.. he still wants to go and asks all the time, that is the affect I want it to have. I want them to continue to ask if we can go, it tells me that they enjoyed it, they weren't pressured, they did what they wanted safely and they had all that time with Dad..

As for gear. Get something you can use and can afford. Start with a WalMart special and once you get used to that then move up. If you only plan on fishing a few days a season then there is no justifiable reason to spend hundreads on gear when all you need are afew items. What species you want to fish for will also determine what you get and how much you spend. As for a childs rod, get a closed faced reel to start. If they can handle that then moving up to a spinning reel will come soon enough. There will come a time where they won't want your help as much but by having the right stuff you will decrease their stress level as well as your own. We all love being on the water so let that be the lesson for them as well. It should be enjoyable and not stressfull. Untangling knots or anything like that is no fun.

On the same line as what Shimanoman mentioned, take the child to a place that has lots of fish... if you get into them then that is great, if not be prepared to move and try other spots. The key is to leave before you run out of fish. With this you will keep the memory of "every time we went out we caught lots of fish".. this isn't misleading, as was mentioned they will learn patience later and won't mind as much the hour between landing fish. Try that with a kid now and they may not want to hit the water with you a second time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to agree that fishing with kids is not about fishing, it's about kids. If the kid gets a fish, great! Mackerel fishing off a wharf might be a good thing to try. My daughter got one when she was 3 or 4 and still talks about it at age 7. As for you, I'm with the other fellas. Might as well leave your gear at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts