Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Folks,

I have a few questions for any striper experts out there regarding the distribution of striped bass around Nova Scotia. I'm an avid multi-species fisherman but have never specifically targeted stripers until a couple of weeks ago when my brother took me to the Minas Basin for the weekend; and now - pardon the pun - I'm hooked.

I've researched as much as possible about the species (including a long phone call with my sister in law who is a lead research scientist with DFO) and have come up with more questions than answers. I understand the migratory/spawning relationship with the Bay of Fundy, Minas Basin, Shubenacadie, Grand Lake, Stewiacke, etc. populations. All the usual suspects - but I'm still sketchy on the Bras d'Or Lake, Mira River, and Cobequid Bay fish. Are these more or less permanent residents or are they migratory fish from the U.S.? Are they perhaps part of the Northumberland or Lower St. Lawrence stock?

If they are migratory then why does the east coast see so few fish? I know that historically a small number of stripers have been caught along the South Shore including the LaHave and Mahone Bay, but I'm not aware of any farther north until Cobequid Bay. It seems to me the habitat along the Eastern Shore would be ideal for migratory fish in many locations. What am I missing?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't really answer any of your questions but you mentioned the bras dor lakes. As you probably know the record striper was caught in the bras dor (east bay) and some of the old local guys say that they don`t spawn there but rather the old fish will travel as far inland as possible to die, which would makes sense that a record striper would be caught in east bay, which is about as far inland on the lakes as you can get but there are certaintly not found in good numbers in that area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really answer any of your questions but you mentioned the bras dor lakes. As you probably know the record striper was caught in the bras dor (east bay) and some of the old local guys say that they don`t spawn there but rather the old fish will travel as far inland as possible to die, which would makes sense that a record striper would be caught in east bay, which is about as far inland on the lakes as you can get but there are certaintly not found in good numbers in that area.
Thank you for your reply Team Z,

Actually anecdotal evidence and long term observation from the "old local guys" is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Historical catch records etc. (if they were even kept) are always a good place to start but obviously they are never a complete picture; or for that matter are they necessarily an accurate representation of former stocks and migratory patterns.

If it's true that the old fish travel to beautiful Cape Breton to retire they could certainly do worse. In fact that's exactly what this fish plans to do!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Amen to that!
It was my understanding that the stripers from the Norththumberlin Strait spawn in the miramichi river and travel to the other parts of the norththumberlin strait.

There were several spots on the east coast that were great stiper spots like Rocky Run just past Lawerance town beach. The lack of regulations to protect them fished them out. There is now very small numbers of them.

there is a small population of spawning stripers in the annapolis river, one of the reasons part of it is closed to fishing. This and the fish that migrate up the coast of the us bring the good fishing in the Bay of Fundy.

found this for you too:

There is historical evidence of striped bass spawning in five rivers of Eastern Canada: the St. Lawrence Estuary, the Miramichi River in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, and the Saint John, Annapolis and Shubenacadie rivers, which all drain into the Bay of Fundy. Striped bass still spawn in the Miramichi (southern Gulf) and Shubenacadie (Bay of Fundy) rivers. The Bay of Fundy is also frequented by striped bass that breed in rivers in the United States.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you bakerthree,

Rocky Run - that's new information to me. I appreciate it. After I read that I spoke to an acquaintance of mine who lives in Lower Three Fathom Harbour and he tells me he still sees people fishing them there; although not nearly as many as used to. He also told me there are a couple of spots near Ship Harbour and Sheet Harbour where some buddies of his still fish occasionally.

I'm learning more and more.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We have been catching and releasing quite a few 5-6lb range(all about the same length 20"-22") here in brackish waters along the strait of canso. Just last week I was out and hooked four, my partner hooked about 9 on his fly rod. A lot of fun. I've never really heard of them being caught in these areas before, but there seems to be a good number of them here now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have been catching and releasing quite a few 5-6lb range(all about the same length 20"-22") here in brackish waters along the strait of canso. Just last week I was out and hooked four, my partner hooked about 9 on his fly rod. A lot of fun. I've never really heard of them being caught in these areas before, but there seems to be a good number of them here now.
Thanks Lee. Sounds like you're having a blast.

Actually in my research the Cobequid Bay / Canso Strait area comes up quite frequently as a historically "prime" location. Really good to hear that they seem to be there in some numbers at the moment. A long time ago I went out with a girl whose father grew up on Sable Island. His family was one of the two out there at that time. Anyway, their shore base for supplies, school, etc. was Whitehead and I can recall him telling me stories about catching huge stripers from a beach near there. Again, anecdotal stuff but fascinating nonetheless.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A long time ago I was salmon fishing wit an old friend in Guysburogh And we went ti New Harbor . He was telling me about the striped bass they catch there and he said it was nothing to get one 80 lbs . He said you could see the schools coming way out in the ocean .

I haven't heard any more about it since he told me of his experiences with them . That was In the area of 30 years ago .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While I have no problem believing your friend's statement that you could "see the schools coming way out in the ocean", I suspect that your old friend was somewhat prone to hyperbole (a common affliction among anglers),when he said it was "nothing to get one 80 lbs). Did he ever offer a photo as proof?? Or was it such a common occurence that it did not warrant photos?? LOL Regards.......

·
Registered
124 Posts
While I have no problem believing your friend's statement that you could "see the schools coming way out in the ocean", I suspect that your old friend was somewhat prone to hyperbole (a common affliction among anglers),when he said it was "nothing to get one 80 lbs). Did he ever offer a photo as proof?? Or was it such a common occurence that it did not warrant photos?? Regards.......
Yup ,saw pics and scales he saved as big as the old 50 cent peice .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If that IS the case, any stripers which your friend caught on rod and line which weighed over 80 Lbs would have easily bested the world record which, since 21 Sept 1982, has stood at 78lb 8oz. (That fish was caught off a jetty in New Jersey by Albert McReynolds) There was, however a monster of 92lbs netted during a research project by Maryland DNR in 1995. They had it mounted and it hangs on the wall at head office.) This lends credence to accounts of stripers netted near Annapolis Royal during the 1800's weighing in at 100 lbs. Regards.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
If that IS the case, any stripers which your friend caught on rod and line which weighed over 80 Lbs would have easily bested the world record which, since 21 Sept 1982, has stood at 78lb 8oz. (That fish was caught off a jetty in New Jerseyby Albert McReynolds) There was, however a monster netted during a research project by Maryland DNR in 1995). Which lends credence to accounts of stripers netted near Annapolis during the 1800's weighing in at 100 lbs. Regards.....
He did n't actually say his was 80 lbs .he said you could catch them 80 lbs . can't remember just what the one he caught weighted . I do know it was hugh with scales that big . I remember the scales for sure ....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Fishy J, My point exactly. He also said "it was nothing to get one 80lbs". This leads the listner to believe that he has done it many times. I have no doubt that this fisherman, caught a large striper. He then described it,(as we anglers are wont to do,)in a somewhat enthusiastic manner. Regards....

·
Registered
299 Posts
From what I know A lot of the bass you get in the subie river come from the bay and grand lake and meet in the centian spot to spown. The ones from the bay go back out and head down to the stats. The others the ones og back to grand lake.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
marsh, The biologists say that there is a resident population of stripers in Grand Lake as well as a migratory population. Regards...

·
Registered
299 Posts
But they all come together in the river system to do their thing. they need x amount of fresh water and salt water to work

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think they should the river down to all boats too at the certain time. I know they get thick and I know you are kill fish with the prop.Maybe not many but the odd one.We are lucky enough to one of the only areas in north amairca with the spowning numbers that we have.
SAVE THE BASS USE CRICLE KOOKS

1 - 20 of 54 Posts