Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shubenacadie First Nation's
5th Annual Striped Bass Derby
Stewiacke River, Hwy #2 (Stewiacke, NS.)

Postponed to Saturday May 16, 8am - 7pm

Ages: 10 & under

11-17 yrs

18 & over

Prize Categories

• Longest Bass

1st, 2nd & 3rd

Shortest Bass

1st & 2nd

• Longest Eel

Grand Prize

Awarded to greatest overall combined length of multiple catches!

Grand prize winner of 2014 took home a Jon Boat with e-motor & accessories!

All Non Aboriginal and Aboriginal people are welcome

• NO ENTRY FEE - that's right, it is absolutely FREE!!
  • NO FISHING LICENSE required for participants - that's right…not needed!
  • Bait, lures & flies are permitted (transporting living fish is prohibited)
  • All anglers must register their name and contact information prior to fishing
  • Only registered anglers qualify for derby prizes & random draw prizes
  • Shoreline angling only, no watercraft
  • Hook & release only
  • Children must be in the care of an adult at ALL times
  • Representatives from DFO, DNR, SBA, Acadia University and MCG will be on site to give assistance and/or answer any questions
  • Anglers may not fish with more than one rod at a time, with not more than one hook attached to that line. The hook may be single, double or triple
  • There will be a one hour break at 3pm on Saturday. (10 years and under division finished at this time-prizes will be awarded). Anything caught during that time will not qualify for the derby.
  • For the safety and respect of everyone, this event is alcohol and drug free
  • All Stripers will be measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail

Please contact me on my cell at 805.0145 or email [email protected] if you have any questions

Together, WE ARE BUILDING COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIPS​

·
Registered
243 Posts
THis will be my first derby if you go up to register Friday do u have to register on Saturday again??

How do we get down the bank to land the fish.

Is there any baits we can not use

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THis will be my first derby if you go up to register Friday do u have to register on Saturday again??

How do we get down the bank to land the fish.

Is there any baits we can not use
Hello Beatz,

You only have to register once for the derby( either day)

You will need a good pair of boots about knee high and there will be lots of help around if needed

transporting living fish for bait is not permitted.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just to update info on Tides for day of Derby

Friday approx start tide in Stewiacke is 5:30 ish PM,

Saturday Morning Start Time is 6 am with evening tide start is at 630ish.

Good luck and hopefully the fish will be biting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm gunna be coming up Friday to register and look for a spot to fish where it would be safest to release and care for the striper so Saturday morning when I get up do I have to come by the register place again or just get there and go fish

·
Registered
243 Posts
On Friday when I register my buddy can't go to register so to save time for Saturday is there anyway I can register him

·
Registered
397 Posts
Only takes a minute or two to register, I'm sure he can wait till Saturday to do it. And if you got a spot you wanna fish u better get there early cause it gets busy fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also curious if anything was caught? Was down for a while earlier today and didn't look like anything was coming in. Also spent most of the day on the Shubie and dead quiet there as well...did see one under the Enfield bridge but not much else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
St. Andrews has lots of bass walked down the shore and seen bass all over the place mostly big guys 30 inch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well despite not catching a fish, I'm so glad we went. What a classy well-organized event! Gracious hosts, beautiful spot. Thank you very much to all of the organizers, volunteers, the folks that manned the information booths and the landowner. We enjoyed meeting the other anglers and will be back!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was there on may 9th and the shore wasn't even full, and we saw the derby trucks with the signs etc go by us around 2 or 3pm I was fishing by the tidal cut off on the stewiacke and people who was, which came down by where I was said the derby shut down due to no bass

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was there on may 9th and the shore wasn't even full, and we saw the derby trucks with the signs etc go by us around 2 or 3pm I was fishing by the tidal cut off on the stewiacke and people who was, which came down by where I was said the derby shut down due to no bass
if you were replying to me I'm not talking about bass being at the derby or stewiacke I was responding to bass slayer about the striped bass by St andrews shubie river, me and my buddy were catching them in the creek and natives were gathered on the corner on the mouth of the creek catching keeper sized striped bass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts