Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On behalf of the Shubenacadie First Nation Band, I am very proud to announce that we will be hosting our 4th Annual Striped Bass Derby on May 3rd, 2014. This derby is designed to focus on a common enjoyable interest of all ages (striped bass fishing) and utilize it to effectively "build community relationships". In achieving our objectives, key government agencies have recognized the many benefits of an event such as this and its magnitude, thus, have agreed to support and assist us to make this unique event possible. Representatives of the different agencies will have information booths on site to assist, educate, develop and promote healthy angling techniques to the young and old through information sharing relating to fishing as a whole. Last year's derby attracted approximately 500-600 combined anglers and spectators with 421 being registered.

The derby will be hook and release, one rod with only one hook attached and all other 2014 Provincial Angler's guidelines applying. This event is free to register and is open to everyone (non-aboriginal and aboriginal) of all ages and a provincial fishing license is not required. There will be three age categories; 10 and under, 11-17 and 18 and over with prizes given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers. The shortest bass and longest eel for all ages and one grand prize winner with the overall total combined length of multiple catches. Last year's prizes totaled approx. $ 4000.

This derby is a nonprofit event with the goal of building community relationships amongst us all. To help make this event even more successful than previous years, we are asking for your support and/or continued support by means of being a proud sponsor. Sponsors will be advertised at the event and in any media results following the derby.

There are three sponsor divisions:

Gold $ 751.00 and over

Silver $ 301.00 to $750.00

Bronze $ 300.00 and under

Tangible prizes are welcome too! (outdoors related prizes only please)

All Non Aboriginal and Aboriginal people are welcome

• NO ENTRY FEE - that's right, it is absolutely FREE!!
  • NO FISHING LICENSE required for participants - that's right…not needed!
  • Bait, lures & flies are permitted (transporting living fish is prohibited)
  • All anglers must register their name and contact information prior to fishing
  • Only registered anglers qualify for derby prizes & random draw prizes
  • Shoreline angling only, no watercraft
  • Hook & release only
  • Children must be in the care of an adult at ALL times
  • Representatives from DFO, DNR, SBA, Acadia University and MCG will be on site to give assistance and/or answer any questions
  • Anglers may not fish with more than one rod at a time, with not more than one hook attached to that line. The hook may be single, double or triple
  • There will be a one hour break at 3pm. (10 years and under -prizes awarded). Anything caught during that time will not qualify for the derby
  • For the safety and respect of everyone, this event is alcohol and drug free
  • All Stripers will be measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail

Please contact me on my cell at 805.0145 or email [email protected] if you have any questions

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so where exactly is this? I know its in stewiacke, on highway #2 is there any land marks there?
Hi Keldcandy, The derby is on the Stewiacke River...travel towards Brookfield from Stewiacke on the #2...drive past the ballfields on your left...go over the bridge and we will be along the river just over the hill on your left...

·
Registered
315 Posts
okay thank you, if I show up, plans haven't changed that I know of from my friend we are still coming, ill be there using a eagle claw rod 10ft, yellow with blue wrapping around the eye-lets

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes Perry, there is room for flyfishing, as an elder once told us after we asked , Any good fishing spots. His response was 5 miles up and 5 miles down!!!

So we can make room for fly fishing!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
start time 8 am to 8 pm. Children part of derby over at 3 PM at the time they will take a 1 hr break, any fish caught during that hour do not qualify for derby. Registration starts at 7 or 7:30 am

·
1,353 Posts
I am going up but will be late so my friend phoned and asked if we were late would we be able to register. The answer was yes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't know about the wadable part but I'm at the derby and the tide is pretty much at its lowest and I haven't seen any fish caught yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.