Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do anyone use those lures that have the weight with 3 single hooks come off it to ice fish....if so what do you use for bate and do you modify them at all?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not 100% sure but sounds like a spreader rig. I have heard of them used when I lived in ontario for bottom hugging species like whitefish and walleyes, but haven't used them them here for anything.

They are used by placing bait like live or dead minnows on each of the hooks then letting the weight on bottom. The baits are spread out by the wire attached to the hooks. Pretty much just a way to position a few baits just off the bottom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i think thats what its for....is it any good for trout around here

·
457 Posts
you could give it a try
i have seen a few guys use them for pickerel

for trout personally i think they would be a bit much
i find lighter line and smaller hooks get way more bites
and those spreaders are pretty heavy duty

·
Registered
158 Posts
Probably would do alright for pickerel, but as mentioned above probably not the best for trout.

I like finesse baits when trout fishing. Get yourself some small split shots and hooks, and a few micro jigs in various colors.

White, pink, orange, chartreuse, that's a good place to start. Some of the micro soft plastic jig bodies are alright too like 1'' tubes, or the gulp maggots, wax worms etc. the trout dough is pretty popular as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i may have to go out with someone that is more experienced with ice fishing and learn what i maybe doing wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts